Acton Round, or Round Acton, is a township and parish, with the hamlet of Muckley, 6 miles north-west-by-west from Bridgnorth, and 3 east from Much Wenlock, in the Chelmarsh division of Stottesden hundred, Bridgnorth union and county court district, South Salop, rural deanery of Wenlock, Salop archdeaconry, and Hereford bishopric; it is situated on the turnpike road between Bridgnorth and Much Wenlock. The church (name unknown) is an ancient stone building in the Tudor style, and was restored about 1830; it consists of a small tower, nave, transept, porch, chancel, 2 bells, three handsome monuments to the memory of the Acton family, and a font. The register dates from the year 1651. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £60 yearly, in the gift of Sir J. Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, Bart.; the Rev. John Gibson, B.A.. Trinity College, Dublin, is the incumbent. Acton Round Hall, formerly the seat of a branch of the Acton family, is a brick structure, relieved by stone pilasters, bearing strong characteristics of the time of Queen Anne, and now in the occupation of Miss Wadlow. The population in 1861 was 173; the acreage is 1,940. The soil is a strong clay; the subsoil is similar. Sir John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton, Bart., is lord of the manor. Lord Sudeley and Sir J. E. E. D. Acton, Bart., M.P., are the chief landowners. There are charities of £2 yearly value, and the interest of £60 bequeathed by the Rev. Mr. Plumpton.
Parish Clerk, Francis Taylor.
Gibson Rev. John, B.A. The Hall
Ainsworth Ann (Mrs.), former & miller
Chune George, farmer, Shirlett
Davies Richd. farmer, Lower Monk hall
Embrey Thomas, farmer, Monk hall
Farmer Penelope (Mrs.), farmer, Upper Monk hall
Littleford Samuel, farmer, Lit. Spoonhill
Low Wm. gamekeeper & farmer, Shirlett
Preen William, farmer, The Floors
Tippen Edward, farmer, Kite’s nest
Wadlow Ann (Miss), farmer, Hall farm
Wadlow Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Evans Richard, farmer
Evason William, shoemaker
Lewis Thomas, farmer
Powell Francis, wheelwright
Wellings Richard, farmer, Cross
Letters are received through Bridgnorth, & Much Wenlock is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.