ABDON is a township and parish, 10 miles north from Ludlow, in the lower division of the hundred of Munslow, Ludlow union, South Shropshire, rural deanery of Wenlock, Salop archdeaconry, and bishopric of Hereford; it is situated on the western side of the Brown Clee Hill, and looks out upon Corve Dale, through which flows the small river Corve. The church (name unknown) is a small plain building of some antiquity, but the date of its erection cannot be ascertained. The living is a rectory; the tithes are commuted for the sum of £128 yearly, with residence and about 50 acres of glebe land, in the gift of the Earl of Pembroke; the Rev. J. L. Sheppard, H.A., is the incumbent. There is a Parochial school for boys and girls, supported by the Earl of Pembroke. The population in 1861 was 170, and the acreage is 1,184. The soil is chiefly clay; the subsoil is lime, rock and old red sandstone. The Earl of Pembroke is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There is a small parochial charity of the annual value of 12s. Lime is burnt here.
Upper House, Lower House, and Marsh Farm are places here.
Sheppard Rev. John Launcclot, M.A. [rector], The Rectory
Bradley George, farmer
Bradley William, farmer
Cooper John, shopkeeper
Cooper Levy, lime burner
Hitchings James, farmer
Norgrove William, farmer
Letters are received through Church Stretton. Nearest money order offices, Ludlow & Church Stretton.
Parochial School, Robert Williams, master
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.