West Acre is a small parish and village, lying in a deep valley, on the north side of the river Nar: it is in Freebridge Lynn hundred and union, West Norfolk, 2 miles north-east from Narborough station and the navigable Nar, 109½ from London, and 5 north-west from Swaffham. The church of All Saints is in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, north porch and western tower, with 1 bell. The living is a donative, annual value, £31: Anthony Hamond, Esq., is impropriator and patron, and the incumbent is the Rev. Edward Manners Dillman Pyne, B.A., of Emmanuel College, Cambridge. Near the church are ruins of an old priory. There is a National school. West Acre High House is the seat of A. Hamond, Esq., D.L., who Is lord of the manor and principal landowner: the house is well situated. The soil is sandy and clay. The acreage is 3,400 ; and the population in 1861 was 415.
Parish Clerk, John Spooner.
Post Office. — Letters received through Brandon. Letter box cleared at 6 p.m.; on sunday at 11.30 a.m.
Swaffham is the nearest money order office
National School, Miss Ann Elizabeth Smith, mistress
Hamond Anthony, esq. D.L. High house
Aylmer Robert Boughen, farmer
Curtis Richard, miller & farmer, West Acre mills
Floyd Henry, shopkeeper
Joyce Stephen, farm steward
Softly John, blacksmith
Thomas James, farmer & lime burner
Winearls Henry, farmer
Youngman James William, farmer
Source: Post Office Directory of Norfolk & Suffolk; Kelly & Co.; London; 1865.