All Hallows the Great and All Hallows the Less, London Family History Guide

All Hallows the Great and All Hallows the Less is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of London, created in 1670 from All Hallows the Great Ancient Parish and All Hallows the Less Ancient Parish; located on Allhallows Lane.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1667

  • Separate registers exist for: All Hallows the Less: 1558

Nonconformists include:

Parishes adjacent to All Hallows the Great and All Hallows the Less

  • St Swithun London Stone with St Mary Bothaw
  • St Mary Abchurch with St Lawrence Pountney
  • St Clement Eastcheap with St Martin Orgar
  • Southwark St Peter
  • St Michael Royal with St Martin Vintry
  • Southwark St Saviour

Historical Descriptions

London Parishes 1824


These parishes are so called from their being dedicated to All Saints, and the words Great and Less are added be cause one is larger than the other. I believe there is no certain account when or by whom these churches were founded, but, being destroyed by the fire in 1666, the church of Alhallows the Great was rebuilt in 1683, at the charge of £5641. 9s. 9d; and Alhallows the Less was united to it by act of parliament.

It stands on the south side of Thames street, in the ward of Dowgate, within the walls of London.

It is a rectory in the gift of his grace the Archbishop of Canterbury. Rated in the King’s books at, £41. 13s. 1½d. Value, per act of parliament 44 Geo. III, £333. 6s. 8d. Rector, Rev. Mr. Vincent. Lecturer, Rev. Mr. Lawrance. Parish-clerk, Mr. W. L. Lord. Divine service at 11 and 3. — 2 bells. — About 110 houses. The vestry of Alhallows the Great cons?sts of 32 persons; that of the Less is general.

The boundaries of Alhallows the Great extend from Campion-lane to where Joiners’-hall formerly stood on the south side of Thames-street; and on the north side from Suffolk-lane to within one house of Elbow-lane (including part of Friar-lane, Campion-lane, Doublehood-warehouse, Hand- court, and Chequer-yard). On the left of Chequer-yard, towards Dowgate, only one house; from thence to Bush- lane, (where Plumbers’-hall formerly stood,) three houses leading to Great Bush-lane, and on the east of ditto to Cross-lane, round to Suffolk- lane, where they end.

Those of Alhallows the Less begin at Suffolk-lane end on the west side, and extend to Lawrence Pountney-lane (including the west side of George-alley, to the water-side;) from thence to the right as far as Cole-arbour; three houses on the west of Lawrence Pountney-lane, with the courts, &c.

Source: London parishes: containing the situation, antiquity, and re-building of the churches within the bills of mortality. B. Weed 1824

Allhallows The Less A Handbook for London 1849

Allhallows The Less, or, Allhallows on the Cellars, in Dowgate Ward. A church in Upper Thames-street, destroyed in the Great Fire, and not rebuilt. It was called the Less to distinguish it from a larger church of the same name in the same street, and on the Cellars, from the vaults or arches on which it stood.

“The steeple and choir of this church standeth on an arched gate, being the entry to a great house called Coldharbour.” – Stow, p. 88.

The burying-ground and parish still remain; the church of Allhallows the Great serving indifferently for both parishes.

Source: A Handbook for London, Past and Present. Peter Cunningham. Published by John Murray 1849.


  • County: London
  • Civil Registration District: London City
  • Probate Court: Court of the Archdeaconry of London
  • Diocese: London
  • Rural Deanery: Pre-1869 – None, Post-1868 – West
  • Poor Law Union: West London
  • Hundred: London, Within the Walls
  • Province: Canterbury

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.