All Hallows, Lombard Street is an Ancient Parish in the county of London.
Parish registers begin: 1549
Nonconformists include: Society of Friends/Quaker
Parishes adjacent to All Hallows, Lombard Street
- St Edmund the King with St Nicholas Acons
- St Michael Cornhill
- St Benet Gracechurch with St Leonard Eastcheap
- St Dionis Backchurch
- St Peter Cornhill
London Parishes 1824
ALHALLOWS, LOMBARD STREET.
This church had its name from being dedicated to All Saints. It was built in the year 1516, destroyed by the fire in 1666, and rebuilt in 1694, at the charge of £8058. 15s. 6d.
It is situate on the north side near the east end of Lombard-street, and there is a passage that leads to it out of Gracechurch-street.
It is a rectory in the gift of the Archbishop of Canter bury. Rated in the king’s books at £22. 6s. 8d. Value, per act of parliament, 44 Geo. III., £200. There are glebe houses, said to amount to £100 per annum. Rector, Rev. W. Brown. Lecturer, Rev. J. Tilt Parish-clerk, Mr. W. W. Medwin. The vestry is general. 2 bells. About 112 houses. Divine service at 11 and half-past six.
In this parish is a Quakers’ meeting-house.
The bounds of this parish are as follow : they begin at the north-east corner of Lombard-street, and extend northerly on the west side of Gracechurch-street to Bell-yard, contain ing all that yard. On the east side of Gracechurch-street, beginning at No 82, they extend southerly to the north-west corner of Fenchurch street, and take in also Boar’s head court and the west side of the poultry market and the centre of the butchers’ market. From the north-east corner of Lombard street this parish extends westerly in that street two doors beyond Ball alley, taking in that alley, and nearly the same compass on the south as on the north side of Lombard street: and from the south corner of Lombard street to Nag’s head court within one house, and also White Hart court and the Quakers’ meeting-house.
Source: London parishes: containing the situation, antiquity, and re-building of the churches within the bills of mortality. B. Weed 1824
A Handbook for London 1849
Allhallows, Lombard Street, or, Allhallows Grass Church. A church in Langbourne Ward, destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666, and rebuilt by Wren, in a plain and unpretending style, in 1694.
Source: A Handbook for London, Past and Present. Peter Cunningham. Published by John Murray 1849.
- County: London
- Civil Registration District: London City
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiar Jurisdiction of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of the Arches, Croydon and Shoreham
- Diocese: London
- Rural Deanery: Post-1868 – East, Pre-1869 – None
- Poor Law Union: City of London
- Hundred: London, Within the Walls
- Province: Canterbury