Ribchester, Lancashire Family History Guide


Ribchester is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.

Other places in the parish include: Hothersall, Alston, Hatherall, Dutton, and Dilworth.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1598

Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, and Roman Catholic.

Parishes adjacent to Ribchester

  • Balderstone
  • Chipping
  • Salesbury
  • Longridge
  • Hurst Green
  • Mitton
  • Stidd

Historical Descriptions

Ribchester

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

RIBCHESTER, an ancient small town, a township, and a parish, in Preston district, Lancashire. The town stands on the river Ribble, 3¼ miles NW of a station of its own name on the Blackburn and Clitheroe railway, and 5½ N N W of Blackburn; occupies the site of the Roman station Coccium or Rigodunum; was reached, in ancient times, by the tide coming up the Ribble; has yielded multitudes of ancient relics, including Roman altars, columns, statues, marbles, coins, and armour, besides anchors and part of a vessel’s hull; carries on hand-loom weaving; and has a post-office under Preston, and fairs on 16 March, 16 April, the Monday before Holy Thursday and 5 Nov. The township comprises 2,093 acres. Real property, £3,459; of which £89 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,650; in 1861, 1,357. Houses, 261. The decrease of pop. arose from the removal of hand-loom weavers to towns. The manor belongs to J.and J. Fenton, Esqs. A workhouse of Preston district is here; and, at the census of 1861, had 113 inmates. The parish contains also the townships of Hothersall, Dutton, Alston, and Dilworth. Acres, 8,150. Pop., 3,885. Houses, 751. The property is much subdivided. Cotton-spinning and varions manufactures are carried on at Longridge and Knowl-Green. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Stidd, in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £175. Patron, the Bishop of Manchester. The church is ancient but good; consists of nave, aisles, chancel, and chapel, with a tower; and once had two chantries. The vicarage of Longridge is a separate benefice. There are an Independent chapel at Knowl-Green, places of worship at Longridge, an endowed school with £20 a year, and charities £52.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Dutton

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Dutton, a township in the parish of Rochester, hund. of Blackburn, co.-palatine of Lancaster; 6½ miles north by west of Blackburn; west of the river Ribble. Acreage with the parish. Houses 85. A.P. £1,961. Pop., in 1801, 388; in 1831, 490. Poor rates, in 1837, £214.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Administration

  • County: Lancashire
  • Civil Registration District: Preston
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries – Amounderness
  • Diocese: Manchester
  • Rural Deanery: Amounderness
  • Poor Law Union: Preston
  • Hundred: Amounderness; Blackburn
  • Province: York


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.