Pendleton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created in 1807 from a chapelry in Eccles Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1856
Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational, Methodist New Connexion, Primitive Methodist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Pendleton
- Swinton St Peter
- Barton upon Irwell
- Manchester Our Lady, St George and St Denys
- Salford St Philip
- Salford Christ Church
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
PENDLETON, a suburban town, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Salford district, Lancashire. The town is suburban to Manchester; lies on the Manchester and Bolton railway, near Peel Park, contiguous to the W side of Salford, 2 miles W N W of Manchester: contains very many genteel residences; carries on industry in cotton and flax mills, and in dye and print-works; and has a railway-station with telegraph, a post-office, under Manchester, a townhall, and numerous places of worship, and public schools. The townhall was built in 1866, at a cost of about £9,000; is in the Italian style, with assimilation to French; and contains an assembly-room, 85 feet long, 39½ feet wide, and 30 feet high. The churches are St. Thomas’, rebuilt in 1831, and Sts. Paul, George, James, Anne, and Luke, built in 1856-65 atcosts of £5,000, £5,000, £, 8, 500, £1, 500, and £6, 500. A New Connexion Methodist chapel was built in 1863, at a cost of £2, 500; and has a Corinthian portico. Independent school-rooms were erected in 1865, at a cost of £2, 400; are in the geometric pointed style; and includea central hall, 60 feet long and 40 feet wide. Very handsome Wesleyan schools were erected in 1863, at a cost of £3, 500. The township comprises 1, 720 acres; and is in the parish of Eccles, and the borough of Salford. Real property, £85,080; of which £2, 186 are in mines, and £1,024 in ironworks. Pop. in 1851, 14, 244; in 1861, 20, 900. Houses, 3, 906. Coal exists in seams of 7 feet thick and under, and is largely worked. The chapelry includes but a portion of the township, and was constituted in 1860. Pop. in 1861, 5, 361. Houses, 984. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £344. Patron, the Vicar of Eccles. The sub-district comprises the townships of Pendleton and Pendlebury. Acres, 2, 650. Pop., 24, 448. Houses, 4, 578.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Alexander John, Pendleton, Lancaster, common brewer, March 15, 1842.
Barlow Thomas, Pendleton and Manchester, calico printer, Nov. 17, 1829.
Barnes Jonathan, Pendleton, Manchester, brewer, Dec. 24, 1822.
- County: Lancashire
- Civil Registration District: Salford
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Manchester
- Rural Deanery: Eccles
- Poor Law Union: Salford
- Hundred: Salford
- Province: York