Byton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Herefordshire.
Other places in the parish include: Cwms Moor
Civil parish: Byton
Parish church: St Mary
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1763
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1660
Parishes adjacent to Byton
- Staunton on Arrow
- Pembridge with Moorcourt
- Presteigne with Discoed
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BYTON, a parish in the district of Presteigne and county of Hereford; on the river Lug, near Shobdenhill-wood, 4 miles NNW of Pembridge r. station, and 4 E of Presteigne. Post Town, Shobden, Herefordshire. Acres, 946. Real property, £1,044. Pop., 214. Houses, 40. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £104. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in 1860; and is a cruciform structure, in the early English style. The previous church was burned. Charities, £9.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Byton, 11 miles S.W. Leominster. P. 172
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
- County: Herefordshire
- Civil Registration District: Presteigne
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Hereford (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Hereford
- Rural Deanery: Leominster
- Poor Law Union: Kington
- Hundred: Wigmore
- Province: Canterbury