Byton is a small parish, with the hamlet of Cwms Moor, 4 miles south-east from Presteigne (its post and poor law Union town), 10 ½ from Leominster, 6 from Kington (its polling place and police station and also its place for magisterial business), and about 20 from Hereford, in Wigmore Hundred, Presteign Union, archdeaconry of Hereford, and Hereford diocese; it is situated near to the turnpike-road leading from Leominster to Presteign. The Church of St. Mary is a plain building, with small belfry, nave, chancel, and porch. The living is a rectory, worth £125 yearly, and about three-quarters of an acre of glebe land, in the gift of the Crown. The population, in 1851, was 176, and the acreage is 847. The soil is a light thin sol; the subsoil is rocky and alluvial. Francis Evelyn, Rev. Thomas King, and the representatives of the late Mrs. John Woodhouse, are chief landowners. There is a charity of £8 yearly value.
Letters through Presteign, which is the nearest money order office.
Britton Charles, farmer, Great Woodhouse
Davies Thomas, Bell Inn
Edwards Mr., farmer
Morgan William, shoemaker
Morris Thomas, farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.