Bredwardine is a parish 12 miles from Hereford railway station, 7 north-east from Hay, 10 south-west from Weobley, and 149 from London, in Webtree Hundred, Hay Union, and Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric; it is situated on the right bank of the river Wye. The church is a small old stone building with small tower, has nave, chancel, and two bells. The living is a vicarage, worth £190 yearly, with residence. There is a small Charity school for boys and girls. The population, in 1851, was 422, and the acreage is 2,245. The soil is sandy and loamy; the subsoil is sand stone and clay. Sir Velters Cornwall is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The West Herefordshire Farmers Club is held at the Swann Inn, in November; and an annual coursing meeting takes place in January. There was formerly a castle, which was a strong and massive fortress. It gave birth and name to Thomas Bradwardin, archbishop of Canterbury, who for his various and abstruse learning, was called in that age the Profound Doctor.
Letters are received through Hereford. Hay is the nearest money order office.
Bennett H., farmer
Bennett James, farmer, Town house
Bubb Samuel, farmer, Wooller
Davies Aaron, tailor
Davies George, clock and watch maker
Davies James, farmer
Davies Thomas, farmer, Old house
Fowler Thomas, Red Lion and Commercial Inn, and farmer
Jenkins George, shoemaker
Jones Charles, farmer, New Weston
Newton Rev. Nathaniel
Parry Benjamin, farmer, Old court
Williams William, parish clerk
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.