Bockleton Parish is situated about 4 ½ miles S.W. from Tenbury, on the borders of the county, and contained in 1851 a population of 277; Hampton Charles, 106; total 383 inhabitants.
Hampton Charles, a small Hamlet, is situate in the county of Hereford, adjoining the parish of Bockleton, and consists chiefly of farm houses.
The Church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient structure, containing nave, chancel, and north aisle, with western square embattled tower. The north aisle has two semicircular arches, plain head-work, on octagonal columns in the Norman style, and contains a very ancient monument to the family of the Barnabys, on a richly-carved tomb, bearing the recumbent figures of Richard Barnaby and his lady, the former clad in armour, with a lion at the feet; over which, in the north wall of the chancel, is a specimen of richly decorated work, representing the younger branches of the family, in the centre of which is a square tablet with a Latin inscription. There are also several ancient marble monuments. The font is of neatly carved stone, on a fluted column. The living is a Perpetual Curacy, in the patronage of the Rev. T. E. Miller. Rev. John Miller, M.A., Curate; Mr. Samuel Lines, Clerk. Service – 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
Bockleton School was erected in the year 1814, by the Rev. Thomas Elton Miller, M.A., for the education of the children of the parishes of Bockleton, Laysters, Hampton Charles, Thornbury, Kyre Magna, and Kyre Parva; to which has been added a substantial house for the residence of the master. The school is principally supported by the Rev. T. E. Miller; the labourer’s children of the parishes of Bockleton, Hampton Charles, and the Laysters, are admitted free. The schoolmaster has the privilege of receiving a limited number of boys as boarders, in addition to the other children. Mr. William Preece, Master. Average number of scholars, 80.
Charities – Mr. Henry Morris, of Quinton, left by will, dated February 11, 1821, five pounds annually to the poor of Bockleton, to be distributed at Christmas, by the Incumbent, for ever. The sum of £166 13s 4d was invested in the Three per Cent. Consols for the above purpose, in the names of the Incumbent and Churchwardens, for ever.
Miller Rev. Thomas Elton, M.A., Parsonage
Miller Rev. John, M.A., Curate, Parsonage
Baldwin William, miller and farmer, Birchley Mill
Clews Daniel, farmer, New Town
Downes William, tailor, Romer Common
Griffiths Henry George, farmer, The Hill, and New House
Hall William, blacksmith and Constable
Holloway Josh., farmer, Bockleton House
Lines Samuel, Parish Clerk
Nutt George, farmer, Middle Quinton
Phillips John, farmer and Churchwarden, Grafton
Pound Philip, sen., farmer, Birchley
Pound Philip, jun., farmer, Weston
Preece William, schoolmaster and land surveyor
Preece Mansell, carpenter
Price William, farmer, Sallens
Redford John, farmer, Grafton
Smith Ann, farmer, Plotmans
Tyler Thomas, mason
Vale William, farmer, Lower Quinton
Dolphin James, farmer, Little Birches
Green Richard, farmer, Manor House
Gregory John, shoe maker
Hall Isaac, farmer, Pound
Harris William, shopkeeper
Howard Joseph, farmer, Lockleys
Jones Wm., shopkeeper and cider retailer
Kinsey Francis, beer retailer and farmer, Heath Cottage
Moss Edward, farmer, Bull’s House
Mound John, mason and farmer
Parlour Thomas, farmer, The Birches
Price Richard, blacksmith and farmer
Price George, wheelwright and carpenter
Post Office, Bockleton – Mr. William Preece, Sub-postmaster. Arrival, 12 p.m.; despatch, 2 p.m.
Source: Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855