Birley is a parish and village, 5 miles from Leominster station, 4 from Weobley (where the petty sessions are held), and about 10 from Hereford, in Stretford hundred, petty sessional division and union of Weobley, electoral division and rural deanery of Leominster, Hereford archdeaconry and bishopric. The church of St. Peter is an old stone building, partly Gothic, and was thoroughly repaired about 1854; it has a tower, chancel, and organ. The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of King’s Pyon, joint annual value £350, with about 8 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Daniel Peploe Peploe, Esq., of Garnstone; the Rev. John Birch Webb is the incumbent. There is a Free school for King’s Pyon and Birley parish. Mr. Thomas Croose Parry is lord of the manor. The population in 1861 was 190; the acreage is 934. The soil is fertile.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Moore.
Taylor Mrs. Dorston
Alford John G. farmer, Thorne farm
Bengree William, farmer
Brookes Joseph, blacksmith
Campbell John, shoemaker
Evans Thomas, farmer, Buckuell
Moore Thomas, carpenter
Morgan William, farmer, Plough farm, Knapton
Southall William, cooper
Parry Thomas Croose, landowner & farmer, Birley court
Webb Richard, Three Horseshoes
Letters through Leominster. Weobley is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.