Aylton, or Aylton Chapel, is a small parish, in Radlow hundred, Ledbury union and county court district, rural deanery of Frome, and bishopric and diocese of Hereford, 6 miles west from Ledbury. The church, which stands on a mound, is small and plain, having a low tower and 1 bell. The living is a rectory, value £132, in the gift of Lady Langdale; the Rev. James Mapleton, B.A. (of Tarrington), Worcester College, Oxford, is the incumbent. The population in 1861 was 96; the area is 812 acres. Earl Somers is lord of the manor.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Napper.
Birchley Misses, Yew Tree cottage
Tranter Mr. John, Castle
Badham John, farmer & hop grower, Aylton court
Barton John, farmer & hop grower, Whitehouse
Lewis Thomas, farmer, Glebe land
Powell Henry, farmer & hop grower, Prior’s court
Magness Joseph Wm. farmer, Lays farm
Williams Jonathan, farmer, Court farm
Letters received through Ledbury, which is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.