Aylton, or Aylton Chapel, is a small parish, in Radlow Hundred and Ledbury Union, bishopric and diocese of Hereford, 6 miles west of Ledbury. The church, which stands on a mound, is small and plain, having a low tower. The living is a rectory, value £152. the population, in 1851, was 93: acreage, 812. Earl Somers is lord of the manor, who, with Miss Miles, Captain Skey and Henry Bishop, Esq., are the land owners. Yew Tree Cottage is a genteel residence, and commands pleasant views.
Letters received through Ledbury, which is also the nearest money order office.
Brydges W. H., Esq., Newbridge cottage
Bishop Henry, yeoman, Yew Tree cottage
Foulger John, Aylton court
Powell Henry, farmer
Tranter John, farmer, Castle
Williams J., farmer
Source: Edward Cassey & Co.: History, Topography, and Directory of Herefordshire. Printed by William Bailey, 107, Fishergate 1858.