St Giles church, Acton Beauchamp by Jonathan Billinger and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.
Acton Beauchamp is an Ancient Parish in the county of Worcestershire.
Acton Beauchamp was transferred from Worcestershire to Herefordshire on the 8th May 1897.
Church: St. Giles
The register dates from the year 1539.
Parishes adjacent to Acton Beauchamp
- Stanford Bishop
- Bishop’s Frome with Fromes Hill
Historical Descriptions of Acton Beauchamp
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Acton Beauchamp, a parish in the district of Bromyard and county of Worcester; 5 miles SE of Bromyard, and 5½ SW by N of Colwall r. station. It has a post-office under Worcester. Acres, 1,529. Real property, £2,026. Pop., 205. Houses, 42. The property belonged anciently to the Beauchamps, but is now much subdivided. There are mineral springs. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £320. Patron, Rev. R. Cowpland. The church is very good.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72].
The British Gazetteer 1852
ACTON-BEAUCHAMP; Worcester, a parish in the Worcester division of the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Bromyard: 152 miles from London (coach road 122), 4 from Bromyard, 11 from Worcester. Nor. West. Rail, to Birmingham, Droitwich, and Spetchley station, thence 13 miles; or Gt. West. Rail, to Cheltenham and Wadborough station, thence 15 miles: S.W. of Derby, through Birmingham, &c. 81 miles. Money orders issued at Bromyard: London letters delivd. 9½ a.m.: post closes 3½ p.m. The living (St. Giles), a dischd. rectory in the archd. and diocese of Worcester, is valued at £4: pres. net income, £320: patron, Mrs. Cowpland: pres. incumbent, W. Cowpland, 1828: contains 1,600 acres: 43 houses: pop. in 1841, 217: probable pop. in 1849, 249: assd. prop. £1,615: poor rates in 1837, £217. N. 2 m. is Whitehouse, the seat of W. S. Wood, Esq.; E. 2 m. Kingshill Lodge.
Source: The British Gazetteer, Political, Commercial, Ecclesiastical, and Historical: Showing the Distances of Each Place from London and Derby–gentlemen’s Seats–populations … &c. Illustrated by a Full Set of County Maps, with All the Railways Accurately Laid Down. Benjamin Clarke 1852; Published (for the proprietors) by H. G. Collins.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Acton-Beauchamp, 10½ miles S.W. Worcester, and 2 miles S. E. Bromyard. P.217
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Acton Beauchamp (St. Giles), a parish, in the union of Bromyard, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Worcester and W. divisions of the county of Worcester, 4 miles (S. E.) from Bromyard; containing 217 inhabitants. There are by measurement 1524 acres, of which 717 are arable, 570 pasture, 150 woodland, and 82 hop ground, &c.; the surface is very hilly, and the soil strong clay, occasionally degenerating into sterile sand. The parish is surrounded on all sides except the east by the county of Hereford. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king’s books at £4, and in the patronage of Mrs. Cowpland: the tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £270, and the glebe consists of 42 acres. There are some mineral springs in the parish.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
ACTON-BEAUCHAMP, a parish in the Worcester division of the hund. of Doddingtree, union of Bromyard, county of Worcester; 3 miles south-east from Bromyard, and 1 1/2 east of the post-road from Bromyard to Ledbury. Living, a discharged rectory in the archd. and dio. of Worcester; rated at £4; gross income £377. Patron, in 1835, Mrs Cowpland. Pop., in 1801, 214; in 1831, 239. Houses 43. Acres 1,600; of which 130 were under hops in 1837. A. P. £1,615. Poor rates, in 1837, £217.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of England 1831
Acton Beauchamp, a parish in the upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, county of Worcester 4¾ miles (S.E.) from Bromyard, containing 258 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry, and diocese of Worcester, rated in the king’s books at £4. H. Wrighte, Esq. was patron in 1820. The church is dedicated to St. Giles. Courts leet and baron are occasionally held here.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis 1831
Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822
Acton Beauchamp – a parish in the hundred of Doddingtree, upper division, 11 miles W.S.W. from Worcester, Worcestershire, and 124 from London, containing 49 inhabited houses, on the borders of Herefordshire. A new church has lately been built at the expense of the inhabitants. It is a rectory; Rev. H. Berry, incumbent; instituted 1820; patron, H. Wrighte, Esq. Population, 1801, 214 – 1811, 240 – 1821, 258.
Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822
Family History Links
- County: Worcestershire
- Civil Registration District: Bromyard
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Worcester
- Rural Deanery: Powyke
- Poor Law Union: Bromyard
- Hundred: Doddingtree
- Province: Canterbury