Acton Beauchamp is a romantic and beautiful parish on the western border of the county, adjoining Herefordshire, 4 miles S.E. of Bromyard, and 12 W.S.W. of Worcester; is in the western division of the county, Upper Doddingtree hundred, Bromyard union and county court district, Worcester petty sessional division, Suckley polling district, Worcester diocese and archdeaconry, and Powick rural deanery. The population in 1861 was 205, and in 1871, 221; inhabited houses, 45; families or separate occupiers, 53. The area of the parish is 1,518 acres; annual rateable value, £2,181. W. M. Sparrow, Esq., of Wolverhampton, is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is heavy land, strong clay, loam, and sandy; hops much cultivated, with wheat, beans, and roots. The church, dedicated to St. Giles, is a small plain structure, with some late Norman work and a very low tower; it was rebuilt in 1816. the register commences in 1700. The rectory is valued at £290, with residence and 36 acres of glebe; patron and rector, the Rev. William Epworth Cowpland, B.A., Worcester College, Oxford, who was instituted in 1871. The tithes were commuted for £280. the new board school for the united district of Acton Beauchamp and Stanford Bishop has been erected from the designs of Ernest A. Day, Esq., architect, of Worcester, at a cost of £1,050. It was opened May 13th, 1878. Accommodation is provided for 80 children. The beautiful undulating woodland view from The Rectory, right across Herefordshire, especially in the direction of S.W., ending in the range of hills called the “Black Mountains,” is considered most enchanting. At Redmarley farm in this parish is an ancient farmhouse, in the garden of which is a periodical spring, called “The Roaring Water,” which bursts from a cavity called “Hunger Hole.” In the quarries of this parish geologists will find numerous remains of fishes, and at Pippin’s hill is a good exposure of cornstone interstratified with old sandstone. Some mineral springs are said to exist in the parish. In a sequestered dingle, called “Jumper’s Hole,” are marks in the sandstone, to which is attached the legend of St Catherine’s mare and colt.
Postal Regulations. – Thomas Matthews, Sub-Postmaster. Letters arrive from Worcester (via Bromyard) about 10.30 a.m.; despatched at 2.25 p.m. Bromyard is the nearest money-order and telegraph office. Post town, Worcester.
Parish Church (St. Giles’s). – Rev. William Epworth Cowpland, B.A., Rector; Messrs. Thomas Wall and James Pitt, Churchwardens; George Moore, Parish Clerk.
Board School (boys and girls). – Miss Norah Barker, Mistress.
Acton Beauchamp and Stanford Bishop United District School Board. – Rev. W. E. Cowpland, B.A. (Chairman), Messrs. James Pitt, Charles Allen, John Cook, and James Philpott, Members; Ambrose William Knott, Esq., solicitor, 14 Foregate street, Worcester, Clerk.
Cowpland Rev. William Epworth, B.A., (patron and rector), The Rectory
Partridge Mr. James
AGRICULTURAL & COMMERCIAL.
Allen Chas., farmer & hop gr., Church ho.
Chambers Jph., fmr. & hop grwr., Acton crt.
Garbett William, wheelwright
Green Geo., farmer & hop grwr., Cruix hill
Grocott George, grocer, provision dealer, and pig butcher
Hodges James, farmer, Kedley’s
Jinks John, cottage farmer, Dawfield
Layson Mr., frmer. & hop gr., Redmarley fm.
Matthews Thos., shopkpr. & sub-postmr.
Moore George, parish clerk
Morris James, blacksmith & agricultural implement maker
Orgee Richard, farmer, Halfridge farm
Partridge Jas., jun., carpenter & builder
Perkins William, wheelwright, Acton gn.
Pitt Jas., farmer & hop-grower, Sevington
Richardson George, miller, farmer, and fruiterer, Acton mill
Taylor James, farmer, freeholder, and assistant overseer for the parishes of Stanford and Suckley, Green house
Turner William, farmer, Sinton’s end
Wall Thomas, farmer and hop grower, Wooton’s farm
Williams Henry, wheelwright, Pippin hill
Source: Littlebury, Littlebury’s Directory and Gazetteer of Worcester & District, Third Edition. Printed by Ballantyne, Hanson & Co. 1879.