Thornbury, Gloucestershire Family History Guide


Thornbury is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire. Falfield and Oldbury upon Severn are chapelries of Thornbury.

Other places in the parish include: Shepherdine, Kington and Moorton, or Moreton.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1550

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Roman Catholic, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Thornbury

  • Alveston
  • Elberton
  • Tytherington
  • Falfield
  • Rockhampton
  • Oldbury upon Severn
  • Littleton on Servern
  • Olveston

Historical Descriptions

Thornbury

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

THORNBURY, a small town, a parish, a subdistrict, a district, and a hundred, in Gloucester. The town stands in Berkeley Vale, 5¾ miles W by N of Wickwar r. station, and 12 NNE of Bristol; has remains of a palatial castle, founded in 1511 by Stafford, Duke of Buckingham, and never completed; ranks as a borough, governed by a mayor and 12 aldermen; is a seat of petty sessions and county courts, and a polling place; and has a post-office under Bristol, a banking office, a reading room, a police station, a later English cruciform church restored in 1866, three dissenting chapels, an endowed grammar-school with £57 a year, another endowed school with £42, charities £141, a weekly market on Saturday, and three annual fairs. Real property, £3,650. Pop., 1,497. Houses, 336. The parish contains also three tythings and a chapelry; extends to the Severn; and comprises 13,222 acres of land, and 2,510 of water. Pop., 4,494. Houses, 983. T. Castle is a seat of H. Howard, Esq.; and Eastwood Park is the seat of Sir G. S. Jenkinson, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £500. Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The p. curacies of Falfield, Oldbury-on-Severn, and Rangeworthy are separate benefices. The sub-district contains 4 parishes. Acres, 21,617. Pop., 5,870. Houses, 1,281. The district includes also Berkeley and Almondsbury sub-districts, and comprises 65,840 acres. Poor rates in 1863, £7,669. Pop. in 1851, 16,454; in 1861, 16,499. Houses, 3,459. Marriages in 1863, 84; births, 521, of which 34 were illegitimate; deaths, 319, of which 115 were at ages under 5 years, and 13 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 844; births, 4,462; deaths, 2,756. The places of worship, in 1851, were 19 of the Church of England, with 5,567 sittings; 9 of Independents, with 1,967 s.; 3 of Baptists, with 424 s.; 1 of Quakers, with 240 s.; 15 of Wesleyans, with 2,890 s.; 3 of Wesleyan Reformers, with 235 s.; and 1 of Calvinistic Methodists, with 120 attendants. The schools were 19 public day-schools, with 1,119 scholars; 31 private day-schools, with 604 s.; 27 Sunday schools, with 1,948 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 12 s. The workhouse is in Kington tything. The hundred contains 7 parishes and a part; and is cut into two divisions, lower and upper. Acres, 20,759 and 5,845. Pop. in 1851, 6,344 and 1,648; in 1861, 7,917. Houses, 1,753.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Kington

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Kington, 1 m. Thornbury. P. 745

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Moorton

A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833

Moorton, or Moreton. co. Gloucester.

P. T. Thornbury (120) 2 m. NNW. Pop. with Falfield, 844.

A tithing in the parish of Thornbury and lower division of the hundred of Thornbury.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.

Shepherdine

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Shepherdine, a hamlet in Thornbury parish, Gloucester; on the river Severn, 4 ¼ miles SW of Berkeley.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Marriages

Marriages at Thornbury 1550 to 1812

Gloucestershire Parish Registers. Marriages. Edited by W. P. W. Phillimore, M.A., B.C.L., Vol XV. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 124, Chancery Lane, London. 1900.

Author: Phillimore, W. P. W. (William Phillimore Watts), 1853-1913, ed; Blagg, Thomas Matthews

Marriages at Thornbury 1550 to 1812 – Archive.org

Marriages at Thornbury 1550-1812 – UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Thornbury Marriages 1810 to 1812

Thornbury Marriages 1807 to 1809

Thornbury Marriages 1800 to 1806

Thornbury Marriages 1793 to 1799

Thornbury Marriages 1790 to 1793

Directories

Thornbury Universal British Directory 1791

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Thornbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Dursley
  • Poor Law Union: Thornbury
  • Hundred: Thornbury
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.