Saul, Gloucestershire Family History Guide


Saul is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1740 from chapelry in Standish Ancient Parish.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1573

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Saul

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

SAUL, a parish, with a village, in Wheatenhurst district, Gloucester; near the river Severn, 4 miles N W of Stonehouse r. station. It has a post-office under Stone-house. Acres, 564. Real property, £2,166; of which £431 are in the Gloucester and Berkeley and the Thames and Severn canals. Pop., 607. Houses, 144. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £125. Patron, the Bishop of G. and B. The church is old, and was repaired and enlarged about 1850. The rectory of Framilode is a separate benefice. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, a British school, and charities £5.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Poll Books

Saul Poll Book 1834 – Google Books

Directories

Saul Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Wheatenhurst
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Gloucester
  • Poor Law Union: Wheatenhurst
  • Hundred: Whitstone (Gloucestershire)
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.