Quenington is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish church: St Swithin
Parish registers begin: 1653
Nonconformists include: Baptist
Parishes adjacent to Quenington
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Quenington, a village and a parish in Cirencester district, Gloucester. The village stands on the Fosseway and the river Coln, 2 miles N of Fairford, and 8 E by N of Cirencester r. station; and has a post-office under Swindon The parish comprises 1,630 acres. Real property, £2, 787. Pop., 426. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. A preceptory of Knights Hospitallers was founded here, before the time of King John; and went to the Kingstones. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £192. Patron, Sir M. H. Beach. The church is ancient but good; and has two Norman doors, and a tower. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £10.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Quennington, 2 m. N. Fairford. P. 371
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850
Family History Links
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cirencester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Fairford
- Poor Law Union: Cirencester
- Hundred: Brightwells Barrow
- Province: Canterbury