Overbury Worcestershire & Gloucestershire Family History Guide



Overbury with Alstone, Teddington and Little Washbourne is an Ancient Parish partly in Gloucestershire and partly in Worcestershire. The Gloucestershire parts are Alstone and Little Washbourne. Teddington is a chapelry of Overbury.

Parish church: St. Faith

Parish registers begin: 1557 Separate registers exist for Alstone – See Alstone

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational and Roman Catholic.

Parishes adjacent to Overbury

Historical Descriptions


Overbury

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

OVERBURY, a village and a sub-district in the district of Tewkesbury and county of Worcester, and a parish partly also in the district of Winchcomb and county of Gloucester. The village stands under Bredon hill, near the boundary with Gloucestershire, 2¼ miles E by N of Bredon r. station, and 5½ NE of Tewkesbury; is a pretty place; and has a post-office under Tewkesbury. The parish contains also the hamlets of Conderton and Teddington in Worcestershire, and the hamlets of Little Washbourne and Alstone in Gloucestershire. Acres of the W. portion, 2,760; of the G. portion, 1,060. Real property, of the whole, £4,267. Pop. of the whole, 925. Houses, 198. Pop. of the G. portion, 124. Houses, 25. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Overbury Court, a picturesque mansion at the W entrance of the village, is the seat of R. Martin, Esq. A block of stone, about 3 feet in diameter, dug from a depth of about 20 feet, was found, on being broken, to have inclosed a living toad, which continued to live 8 hours after being set free. Industry is carried on in a silk-mill, a paper-mill, a corn mill, and stone quarries. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelries of Teddington, Washbourne, and Alstone, in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £421. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. The church, with exception of the chancel, was recently rebuilt; is partly in the early English style; retains, in the chancel, some good features of early English architecture; has an embattled tower; and contains remains of old oak pews, and a monument to W. Dowdeswell, with epitaph by Burke. There are a dissenting chapel, a national school, and charities £31. The sub-district excludes the Gloucester portion of O. parish, but includes three parishes of Gloucester, and part of Bredon parish in Worcester. Acres, 10,428. Pop., 2,970. Houses, 678.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Overbury – a parish and township in the hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 miles N.E. from Tewkesbury, and 101 from London, on the borders of Gloucestershire; containing 90 inhabited houses. Large enclosures have lately taken place here, and the roads have been much improved. In the parish is a free-stone quarry, in which are great quantities of stalactites and encrustations. It is a vicarage, with Alstone, Teddington, and Washbourne annexed; Rev. T. Clark, incumbent; instituted 1821; in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Worcester. Population, 1801, 425 – 1811, 413 – 1821, 395.

Overbury-Park, in the above parish, is the residence of John Martin, Esq. M.P. for Tewkesbury. The house is seated at the foot of the Cotswould-hills, and surrounded with some very fine groves.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Conderton

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Conderton – a hamlet to the parish of Overbury, hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 4 miles E. from Tewkesbury; containing 21 houses. On Conderton hill are the remains of a Danish camp. Population, 1801, 80 – 1811, 85 – 1821, 89.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Little Washbourne

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Washbourne (Little), a hamlet in the parish of Overbury, middle division of the hund. of Oswaldslow, union of Winchcomb, county of Worcester; 6½ miles east by north of Tewkesbury. Acreage with the parish. Houses 11. A.P. £910. Pop., in 1801, 59; in 1831, 51. Poor rates, in 1838. £23 5s.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.

Worcestershire Delineated C. and J. Greenwood 1822

Washbourne (Little) – a hamlet in the parish of Overbury, hundred of Oswaldslow, middle division, 9 miles S.W. from Evesham, and 98 from London; containing 8 inhabited houses. Population, 1801, 59 – 1811, 58 – 1821, 55.

Source: Worcestershire Delineated: Being a Topographical Description of Each Parish, Chapelry, Hamlet, &c. In the County; with the distances and bearings from their respective market towns, &c. By C. and J. Greenwood. Printed by T. Bensley, Crane Court, Fleet Street, London, 1822.

Directories

Online Directories

Bentley’s Directory of Overbury 1840 – Archive.org

Directory Transcriptions

Overbury Billings Directory of Worcestershire 1855 (with Conderton, and Chapelry of Teddington)

Overbury Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Little Washborn Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856

Washbourne Lewis Worcestershire Directory 1820

Photographs

Administration

  • County: Worcestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Tewkesbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Worcester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Worcester
  • Rural Deanery: Pershore
  • Poor Law Union: Tewkesbury, Winchcombe
  • Hundred: Oswaldslow
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.