Matson is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
The parish includes Robinswood Hill and Winnycrofts.
Parish registers begin: 1553
Parishes adjacent to Matson
- Gloucester St James
- Upton St Leonards
- Gloucester St Mary de Lode
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
MATSON, a parish in the district and county of Gloncester; near the Bristol and Gloucester railway, 2½ miles SE of Gloucester r. station. Acres, 450. Real property, £1,014. Pop., 32. Houses, 8. The manor belonged to the Bohuns and to W. Nottingham; was given, in the time of Edward IV., to Gloucester abbey; went, at the dissolution, to the Selwyns; and belongs now to Viscount Sydney. Matson House was built in the time of Elizabeth; was occupied, during the civil war of Charles I., by his sons Charles and James; was visited by George III. and his queen and court; belongs to Lord Sydney; and is now the residence of Walker, Esq. The parish includes Robinswood Hill and Winnycrofts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol Value, £217. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. The church was rebuilt partly in 1730, partly in 1852; is a plain brick structure, with a low tower; and contains a tablet to the Selwyns.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Matson 1553 to 1812
Note. – The Register of Marriages at Matson, anciently Mattesdon, from 1553 to 1812 is contained in two volumes. The whole of the Matson Register down to 1812, and the Marriages down to 1879, have been transcribed and annotated by the Rev. William Bazeley, Rector, who has added notes from the Bishop’s Transcript at Gloucester. The latter are indicated below by square brackets. These marriages are now printed by permission of Mr. Bazeley, and under his supervision.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Gloucester
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Gloucester
- Poor Law Union: Gloucester
- Hundred: Dudstone and King’s Barton
- Province: Canterbury