Longhope Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1863


Longhope is a village and parish, and railway station on the Hereford, Ross and Gloucester line, 6 miles north from Newnham, 2 east from Micheldean, 9 west from Gloucester, and 8 south-east from Ross, in the hundred of the Duchy of Lancaster, union of Westbury-on-Severn, Newnham county court district, rural deanery of the Forest, Gloucester archdeaconry, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. It is situated on the high road from Gloucester to Micheldean and Coleford. The church of All Saints is an ancient building, with a spire. The living is an endowed vicarage, annual value £400, with residence and about 20 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Gen. Sir John Wright Guise, Bart., K.C.B.; the Rev. Frederick Charles Guise, M.A., of University College, Durham, is the incumbent. There is a chapel for Baptists. The population in 1861 was 1,104, the acreage is 2,823; rateable value, £4,682. The soil is clay and loam; the subsoil is clay. Edmond Probyn, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. There are charities of £135 yearly value.

Parish Clerk, Samuel Edwards.

Coleman Solomon, esq

Guise Rev. Fredk. Chas. M.A. Vicarage

Phillips Rev. Henry [Baptist]

Probyn Capt. John, D.L., j.P. Manor ho

Probyn Miss, Temple

Commercial.

Ambury Joseph, farmer, Harts barn

Baldwin Daniel, wood turner

Bennett Benjamin, horse dealer

Browning James, Cross inn

Bullock Thomas, spade tree maker

Burcher Joseph, farmer, Brook farm

Cadle John, butcher, Hope Brook cot

Coleman Frederick, tanner

Coleman Solomon, solicitor

Constance Eli, broom handle maker

Constance William & Sons, farmers, Court farm

Constance Henry, farmer & timber dlr

Constance James, farmer

Constance James, wood turner

Davis Henry, beer retailer

Drew Thomas, farmer, Dursley cross

Fowler John, farmer

Haile Jane (Mrs.), grocer & postmistrss

Hampton Charles, grocer, draper & farmer, Cross farm

Hampton Henry, boot & shoe maker

Hobbs John, Plough

Irving John, gentlemen’s boarding school, Blenheim house

Joiner William, farmer, Vicarage farm

Kersey John, miller & farmer

Lea Edwin, shopkeeper

Little Charles, shoemaker, Hope Brook

Mallett William, boot & shoe maker

Morris Joseph, corn dealer

Parry John, farmer, Marshes

Pearce Samuel, beer retailer, Box bush

Phillips William, shopkeeper

Purdy James, farmer, Blackmore farm

Scudamore Geo. farmer, Bradley farm

Smith Charles, miller, Dursley cross

Smith Robert, carpenter

Stephens James, shopkeeper

Stephens Walter,beer retailer, Box bush

Thomas Milson, Yew Tree, & farmer

Post Office. — Mrs. Jane Haile, receiver. Letters arrive at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Micheldean.

Church of England School, M. A. Grimes, mistress

Station Master, Edwin Noble

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.