Little Dean Gloucestershire Universal British Directory 1791


Little Dean is three miles distant from Great Dean; it is a very small town, on the verge of the forest, and had formerly a market. The only branch of manufacture carried on here is making of nails; and those made in this place are esteemed superior to most in the kingdom. Contiguous to this town, has been lately built a penitentiary-house and bridewell for the forest-division of the county. Newenham is the post-town. – the following are the principal inhabitants:

Gentry, &c.

Brookes William, Gent. (F.)

Cullimore William, Esq.

Evans – , Gent.

Morton William, Esq.

Pyrke Joseph Watkyns, Esq. (F.)

Clergy.

Frier Rev. William, Curate

Webb Rev. Benjamin, (F.) Vicar of Dean

Traders, &c.

Robinson Philip, (F.) Proprietor of capital Coal and Nail-works

Boughton Joseph, Timber-merchant

Taylor Thomas, (F.) Nailor

Source: The Universal British Directory of Trade, Commerce, and Manufacture 1791. Vol. 2.



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.