Leckhampton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire
Parish registers begin: 1709
Parishes adjacent to Leckhampton
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Leckhampton, a parish in Cheltenham hundred and union, county of Gloucester; 2½ miles south by west of Cheltenham, intersected by the Cheltenham and Gloucester railway. Living, a rectory, formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £18 13s. 4d.; gross income £366. Tithes commuted in 1778. Patron, in 1835, H. N. Tyre, Esq. The church contains some ancient monuments. Here are 4 daily schools, and a day and Sunday school. The manor-house is an ancient structure, supposed to have been erected in the reign of Henry Vll. Some of the boldest and most lofty of the Cotswold hills are included within this parish. Acres 1,330. Houses 183. A. P. £1,819. Pop., in 1801, 235; in 1831, 929. Poor rates, in 1838, £227 1s.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Leckhampton, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Cheltenham (94) 2½m. S b W. Pop. 318.
A parish in the hundred of Cheltenham, part of it a rich pasture, and the remainder a mountainous tract, including some of the boldest and most lofty of the Cotswold Hills, one of which, from its craggy and gigantic form, is called the Devil’s Chimney. The living is a rectory in the archdeaconry and diocese of Gloucester; valued in K. B. at 18l. 13s. 4d.; patron (1829) C. N. Trye, Esq. The church, which is dedicated to St. Peter, contains some ancient monuments, among which are the effigies of a knight, cross-legged, and his lady. The manor-house is an ancient structure, supposed to have been erected in the reign of Henry VII.; it occupies three sides of a square, and though situated at the base of the Leckhampton Hills, commands a fine view over the vale of Gloucester.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. II; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Cheltenham
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Winchcombe
- Poor Law Union: Cheltenham
- Hundred: Cheltenham
- Province: Canterbury