Horton is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Parish registers begin: 1567
Nonconformists include: Roman Catholic
Parishes adjacent to Horton
- Little Sodbury
- Old Sodbury
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HORTON, a village and a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester. The village stands among the Cotswolds, 3¼ miles NE of Chipping-Sodbury, and 4¾ ENE of Yate r. station. The parish comprises 3,540 acres; and its post town is Chipping-Sodbury under Chippenham. Real property, £4,751. Pop., 454. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged once to the Pastons; and part of the old manor house still stands, and belongs now to Mrs. E. Fayle. Parts of the Cotswolds here command fine views. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £657. Patron, the Rev. T. R. Brooke, The church is early English; was restored in 1865; consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and embattled tower; and contains tombs of the Pastons, and several old monuments. There is a national school, an ornate structure of 1860. Charities, £5.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Marriages at Horton, 1567 to 1812
Note. – The Registers of Horton to 1812 are contained in three books. Volume I consists of 68 parchment leaves (of which three are loose), measuring 7 ½ in. by 10 ¾ in. It is bound in a limp parchment cover, and is in fair condition, tough as three leaves of Baptisms are loose, the churchwardens would be well advised to have the volume carefully rebound. The Baptisms, 1567 to 1746, occupy the first 35 folios; ff. 16a and 36 are blank. Then follow the Marriages, 1567 to 1746, from fo. 37 to fo. 46, with the considerable gap of 36 years, from 1624 to 1660, fo. 46a is blank, fo. 47 is blank, but on fo. 47a are entered three Burials of 1745-46. On fo. 48 commence the Burials, 1567 to 1746. The Burials continue with regularity to 1620, then on the same page, without break or explanation, begins the year 1661, and then the entries continue to 1746, the last of them, as already stated, being on fo. 47a. Between the entries of 1740 and 1741 is a short list of excommunicated persons from 1663 to 1668. On the last page is a note of the burial of Wm. Murford, 1670, “in the Quakers’ burial place towards Bristol”, and of Wm. Higgs and Eleanor his wife, Anabaptists, buried “in the garden of James Nobbs, sen.” In order of date appears also this entry, “1698, James Nobbs, a great Anabaptist, was buryed in Tho. Howell’s garden July the 22th”.
Volume II commences in 1747, and ends in 1786. It includes besides Baptisms and Burials, Marriages to 1786. It is of forty-one parchment leaves, measuring 8 in. by 12 ¾ in., and is bound in soft calf boards. It is in good condition.
Volume III :- For particulars see in loco, p. 12 post.
These extracts have been made by Miss Olive M. Begbie, and are now printed under her supervision by leave of the Rev. A. J. Begbie, rector of Horton. The proof has been carefully collated with the Register.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Chipping Sodbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
- Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
- Poor Law Union: Chipping Sodbury
- Hundred: Grumbald’s Ash
- Province: Canterbury