Hawkesbury, Gloucestershire Family History Guide


Hawkesbury is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Hillesley is a chapelry of Hawkesbury.

Other places in the parish include: Hawkesbury Upton, Little Badminton, Upton, Tresham, and Saddlewood with Tresham and Killcott.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1603

Nonconformists include: Baptist, Independent/Congregational, Particular Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Hawkesbury

Historical Descriptions

Hawkesbury

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

HAWKESBURY, a tything, a parish, and a sub-district, in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester. The tything lies under the Cotswolds, 3 miles W of the boundary with Wilts, 4 NW by N of Chipping-Sodbury, and 4 ESE of Wickwar r. station; has a post office, of the name of Hawkesbury-Upton, under Chippenham, a police station, and a fair on the last Friday of Aug.; and gave the title of Baron to the Earls of Liverpool. Real property, £3,554. Pop., 466. Houses, 108. The parish contains also the tythings of Upton, Hillesley, Little Badminton, and Saddlewood-with-Tresham and Killcott. Acres, 9,770. Real property, £14,234. Pop., 2,173. Houses, 499. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir George S. Jenkinson, Bart. A fine tower, erected in 1846, to General Lord R. E. H. Somerset, stands on the brow of a hill, commanding a fine view There are traces of a Roman road. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Tresham, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £350. Patron, Sir George S. Jenkinson, Bart. The church is of various dates, chiefly later English; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments of the Jenkinsons. The vicarage of Hillesley is a separate benefice. There are chapels of ease at Tresham and Little Badminton, chapels for Independents, Baptists, and Primitive Methodists, two national schools, and charities £44. The sub-district contains also six other parishes. Acres, 20,668. Pop., 4,156. Houses, 920.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Hawkesbury, a parish in the hund, of Grumbald’s-Ash, union of Chipping-Sodbury, county of Gloucester; 3½ miles east-south-east of Wicker. It comprises the the things of Badminton Little, Hawkesbury, Hillesley, Killcott, Upton, Saddlewood, and Tresham. Living, a discharged vicarage with the curacies of Tresham and Little Badminton formerly in the archd. and dio. of Gloucester, now in the archd. of Bristol and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol; rated at £20 14s. 2d., and returned at £140; gross income £300. Patron, in 1835, the Earl of Liverpool, to whom Hawkesbury gives the title of baron. Here are a Baptist church, formed in 1730; and 3 daily schools. Charities, in 1827, £44 2s. per annum. Poor rates, in 1838. £768 3s. Acres 8,940. Houses 431. A. P. £6,514. Pop., in 1801, 1.396; in 1831, 2.182. Houses of the tything 90. Pop., in 1801, 335; in 1831, 434.

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

Little Badminton

Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

Badminton (Little), a tything in Hawkesbury parish, Gloucester; 1 mile N of Great Badminton. Real property, £1,478. Pop., 113. Houses, 24.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A Fullerton & Co. N.d.c. [1870-72]

The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851

Badminton (Little), a tything in the parish of Hawkesbury, county of Gloucester. This is a chapelry annexed to the above vicarage of Great Badminton. Pop., in 1801, 95; in 1831, 110. Houses 24

Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Badminton (Little), ½ mile from Great Badminton. P. 127

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Saddlewood

Lewis Topographical Dictionary of England 1845

Saddlewood, a tything, in the parish of Hawkesbury, union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of the hundred of Grumbald’s-Ash, W division of the county of Gloucester, 5 miles (WSW) from Tetbury; containing, with killcott and Tresham, 296 inhabitants.

Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.

Tresham

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Tresham, incl. in Hawkesbury parish

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Marriages

Marriages at Hawkesbury 1603-1812

Marriages at Hawkesbury 1603-1812 – UK Genealogy Archives

Transcriptions

Hawkesbury Marriages 1810 to 1812

Hawkesbury Marriages 1805 to 1809

Hawkesbury Marriages 1800 to 1804

Hawkesbury Marriages 1798 and 1799

Hawkesbury Marriages 1790 to 1798

Hawkesbury Marriages 1785 to 1789

Hawkesbury Marriages 1775 to 1784

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Chipping Sodbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Chipping Sodbury
  • Hundred: Grumbald’s Ash
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.