Compton Greenfield is a parish in Clifton union, containing, by the census of 1861, 52, and in 1871, 60 inhabitants, and 616 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Bristol, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol; 8 miles north-west from Bristol, on the road to Milford and Swansea, and 30 south-west from Gloucester. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. G. Hope Dixon, M.A., is valued at £200 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of Robert Cann Lippincott, Esq., who is also lord of the manor and principal owner. The church, which was rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1852, is in the Early English style, and consists of nave, chancel, and porch. The tower is covered with ivy. The rateable value of this parish is £1504.
Davis Sir John F., Bart., K.C.B.
Trades and Professions.
Edwards Thomas, farmer
Fisher Abel, farmer, Sea Wall farm
Keen Samuel, farmer, Church farm
Pearce Mrs. Mary, farmer
Prosser Mrs. Charlotte, farmer
Letters through Bristol. Westbury is the nearest money order office.
Source: Morris & Co.’s commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.
- Compton Greenfield Gloucestershire 1845 (parishmouse.co.uk)