Cocoa and Coffee Taverns, &c. This movement was commenced by a committee building a comfortable room for the navvies at Lovers’ walk during the construction of the Clifton Extension railway. In 43 weeks the total consumption there had been 8,927 gallons. The next step was to open a shed at the Black Rock end of the tunnel of that railway, which in 25 weeks had furnished 2,052 gallons; these, on the completion of the railway, were closed, and a cocoa room opened on the Grove, where has been sold over 700 gallons per week. The timber merchants on the Sea banks have provided a cocoa shed for the accommodation of their men; and in the Goods sheds and yards at the Railway station the men are supplied with refreshing beverages.
The Albion, in connection with Messrs. C. Hill and Sons, is in Cumberland road.
The Bristol Coffee Public House Company Limited have “The Clarence,” 12 Lawrence hill. W. Price, manager.
The Bristol Tavern and Club Company Limited have houses at the following places:- Bedminster, High street, Nicholas street, Nelson street, Redcliff street, Philip street, and near The Mall, Clifton. G. F. Barnett, secretary.
The Castle Coffee Palace is at 48 Castle street.
The Colston, 52 Broad quay. A. H. Lamb, manager.
The Victoria Company have two houses, one at 4 High street and the other at 27 St. Augustine’s parade.
There are over 100 other coffee taverns of a miscellaneous character in the city; the above, as a rule, belong to public companies, and are conducted on first-class principles.
Source: Arrowsmith’s Dictionary of Bristol. Edited by Henry J. Spear and J. W. Arrowsmith. Bristol 1884.