Cinderford, Gloucestershire Family History Guide


Cinderford is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1845 from part of Dean Forest Holy Trinity Ecclesiastical Parish.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1843

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist, Baptist

Parishes adjacent to Cinderford

  • Littledean
  • Newnham
  • Dean Forest Christ Church
  • Dean Forest Holy Trinity
  • Hinders Lane and Dockham
  • Awre
  • Dean Forest St Paul

Historical Descriptions

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CINDERFORD, a chapelry in Forest of Dean, Gloucester; 3½ miles WNW of Newnham town and r. station. It has a post office under Newnham. Pop., 3,180. Here are extensive iron-works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £300. Patron, the Crown. The church is modern, cruciform, and in the early English style. There are Baptist and Methodist chapels.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Westbury on Severn
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Gloucester and Bristol
  • Rural Deanery: Forest
  • Poor Law Union: Westbury on Severn
  • Hundred: St Briavels
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.