The following is a list of destroyed churches and chapels which have never been rebuilt, numbering 14 :-
St. Ewen’s, which stood on the site of the Council-house, in Corn street, had its chancel end in Broad street. From the east window of this destroyed church Edward IV. witnessed the procession that conducted Sir Baldwin Fulford to execution. The parish is now amalgamated with that of Christ Church.
St. Giles’ stood at the bottom of Small street. Barrett says it was pulled down in 1319.
St. Laurence stood on the west side of St. John’s. It was incorporated with the latter in 1580.
St. Leonard’s, whose arch and tower formed the western termination of Old Corn street, stood in a line with the entrance to Baldwin street. It was pulled down in 1766, and the parish consolidated with St. Nicholas.
Chapel of the Holy Virgin, Bristol Bridge. This chapel had a tower 108 feet high, on each side four large windows of three lights, also an east window of stained glass.
Chapel of St. John the Baptist, belonging to St. Nicholas Church, in Spicer’s Hall, on the Welsh back. A 14th century exterior doorway, together with an interesting roof within of the same date, yet exist in the relics of the above hall.
St. Brendon’s Chapel, on the summit of Brandon hill.
St. Catherine’s Chapel, Brightbow, Bedminster.
St. Clement’s Chapel, on the site of the Merchant Venturers’ Hall, King street.
St. George’s Chapel, on the north side of the Old Guildhall, Broad street. The handsome Gothic east window was upon its demolition re-erected at The Grove, Brislington.
St. Jordan’s Chapel, College green.
St. Martin’s Chapel, in the outer or first ward of the Castle.
St. Sprite’s Chapel, in Redcliff churchyard.
St. Vincent’s Chapel, now the Giant’s cave, St. Vincent’s rocks.
Source: Arrowsmith’s Dictionary of Bristol. Edited by Henry J. Spear and J. W. Arrowsmith. Bristol 1884.