Charfield, Gloucestershire Family History Guide



St James' parish church, Churchend, Charfield, Gloucestershire
St James’ parish church, Churchend, Charfield, Gloucestershire, seen from the north. The copyright on this image is owned by Sharon Loxton and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Charfield is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1587

Nonconformists include: Independent/Congregational

Parishes adjacent to Charfield

  • Wickwar
  • Kingswood
  • Tortworth
  • Cromhall

Historical Descriptions


The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

CHARFIELD, a parish in Thornbury district, Gloucester; on an affluent of the Severn, and on the Gloucester and Bristol railway, under the Cotswolds, 2 miles N of Wickwar. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Wotton-under-Edge. Acres, 1,369. Real property, £3,977. Pop., 629. Houses, 137. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of G. and Bristol. Value, £351. Patron, Sir J. Neeld, Bart. The church is ancient and good. There are an Independent chapel and an endowed school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Charfield, 25 miles N. Chipping-Sodbury. P. 471

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Administration

  • County: Gloucestershire
  • Civil Registration District: Thornbury
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Gloucester (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol, Pre 1836 – Gloucester
  • Rural Deanery: Hawkesbury
  • Poor Law Union: Thornbury
  • Hundred: Grumbald’s Ash
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.