Beckford is a village and parish, 4 miles north-east from Ashchurch station on the Bristol and Birmingham railway, 6 north-east from Tewkesbury, 9 north from Cheltenham, and 6 north-west from Winchcomb, in Tibbaldstone hundred, Winchcomb union and county court district, East Gloucestershire, rural deanery of Campden, Gloucester archdeaconry, bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol. The village is situated on the river Carrant, a little off the high road from Tewkesbury to Evesham. The church of St. John the Baptist is an old building in the Norman style, and has two fine arches of that period, viz., the porch and chancel arch; it consists of a nave, aisle, chancel, and handsome high tower in the middle, crowned with pinnacles, and contains a clock and a peal of 6 fine-toned bells; it has been repaired at great expense, and decorated in the interior; there are two mural tablets, one to the Wakeman and one to the Timbrill families. The register commences in 1549. The living is an endowed vicarage, with the cbapelry of Ashton-under-Hill annexed, value £400 yearly, with residence and 213 acres of glebe land, held by the Ven. Archdeacon Timbrill, D.D., rector of Dursley, of Worcester College, Oxford. Here is a Sunday school for children of both sexes, supported by the vicar. Beckford Hall was the ancient mansion of the Wakeman family, but it has been recently purchased by Hattil Foll, Esq., J.P., who is the lord of the manor. In the grounds, among other interesting features, is an avenue of box, 160 yards in length, which has attained a great height and size. A saline spring runs through the parish. The population in 1861 was 473; acreage 2,655: the soil is good, both arable and pasture, and consists of— first stratum (top of hill), oolite limestone; second, upper lias; third, marlstone; fourth (valley), lower lias. Mr. John Freeman, Edward Holland, Esq., the Vicar, Edward B. Blackburne, Esq., Samuel Gist, Esq., Mr. Bluck, Hattil Foll, Esq., J. P., and Mr. Woodward, are chief landowners. There are charities of £20 yearly value given in bread to the poor, and £30 for such uses as the trustees think proper. Beckford comprises the hamlets of Grafton, Bangrove and Didcot.
Grafton is distant 1 mile north-east, Bangrove, 1 mile and a half south, and Didcot, 1 mile and a halt east.
Parish Clerk, Richard Cotton.
Badham George, esq. Beckford house
Faulkner Rev. William
Foll Hattil, esq. J.P. Beckford hall
Smith Mr. Job
Timbrill The Ven. Archdeacon, D.D. Vicarage
Timbrill Robert, esq
Bluck Thomas, farmer
Burge Nathan, saddler & harness makr
Clements Charles, tailor
Cresswell Thomas, Beckford inn, & farmer & butcher
Foort Charles, grocer & baker
Freeman Joseph, farmer
Saunders Herbert, carpenter & wheelwright
Smith James, grocer & draper
Tranmar William, farm bailiff to Hattil Foll, esq
Wagstaff John, plumber & painter
White William, blacksmith
Smith Henry, farmer
Baylis John, carpenter
Crump John, farmer
Richardson Samuel, farmer
Evans Joseph, farmer
Martin Thomas, farmer
Post Office. — Charles Foort, receiver. Letters arrive by foot post from Tewkesbury post & money order office at 9 a.m.; dispatched 4 p.m
Police Station, George Dutton, sergeant
Registrar of Births & Deaths, Daniel Edington, Clceve
Carrier. — Henry Drinkwater, to Tewkesbury, on Wednesday; to Cheltenham, on thursday & Saturday
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.