Batsford is a parish and small village, about 1 mile and a half from the Moreton station on the West Midland line of railway, 28 from Gloucester, 5 from Campden, and 85 from London, in Kiftsgate hundred, Shipston-on-Stour union and county court district, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The church of St. Mary, rebuilt in 1861-2, is a handsome stone building in the Norman style, consisting of nave, chancel, tower and spire with 1 bell. The living is a rectory, annual value £370, with residence, in the gift of Lord Redesdale; the Rev. Cyril G. Hutchinson, M.A., of Christ Church, Oxford, is the incumbent and rural dean. The population in 1861 was 130; the acreage contained in the parish is 919 acres. Lord Redesdale is lord of the manor and owner of the soil. Batsford Park House, the seat of Lord Redesdale, is a handsome stone building, situated in a park well stocked with deer.
Parish Clerk, Thomas Peach.
Hutchinson Rev. Cyril G. M.A. [rector]
Redesdale Lord, Batsford Park house
Ellis James, farmer
Ellis Thomas, farmer
Scovell John, steward to Lord Redesdale
Letters through Moreton-in-Marsh, which is also the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.