Avening is a parish and village, 3½ miles south from Brimscomb station, 6½ south-east-by-south from Stroud. 16 south from Gloucester, 8 east from Dursley, and 100 west from London, in Longtree hundred, Stroud union and county court district, East Gloucestershire, rural deanery of Stonehouse, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric; it is situated on the high road from Tetbury to Minchinhampton. The church of St. Mary is an ancient stone building in the Saxon style; it has nave, chancel, transept, vestry, and square embattled tower rising from the middle; there is in the church a curious old monument to Henry Bridges, Esq., bearing date 1615. The living is a rectory, worth £656 yearly, with residence and 104 acres of glebe land, in the gift of, and held by, the Rev. Francis Paravicini. There is a National and an Infant school, with small endowments. Here is a Baptist chapel. Belemnites and other fossils are frequent in the neighbourhood. There are still the remains of a Roman foss-road. The population in 1861 was 2,070 ; the acreage is 4,428. The soil is light loam; the subsoil is oolite. William Playne, Esq., is lord of the manor. There are several small charities yearly for apprenticing poor children, &c.. Avening includes the hamlets of Aston, Forest Green, and Windsor Edge, with part of the chapelry of Nailsworth. The woollen trade has become considerable since 1851.
Avening Court; Avening Lodge, Leonard’s Brook, The Iron Mills and Lowsmore are places here.
Parish Clerk, William Fowles.
Kimber Edmund, esq. Sandford house
Paravicini Rev. Francis [rector]
Rooke Alexander Beaumont, esq. J. P. The Lodge
Walker Robert O. esq. The Court
Webbley Rev. Samuel [Baptist]
Wheeler Thomas, esq. Leonards brook
Bennett Henry, blacksmith
Brown Sarah (Mrs.), beer retailer, Iron mills
Caudle Thomas, wheelwright
Chandler Hannah (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Close Ephraim, stonemason
Curtis John, shopkeeper
Day Francis, farmer, Lowsmore
Drew John, Farriers’ Arms, & butcher
Drew William, New inn, & butcher
Essex David, farmer, Brandhouse
Essex Thomas, Cross, & stonemason
Essex William, stone merchant
Fowler Edward, farmer, Aston
Fowles Joseph, shoemaker
Fowles Oliver, stonemason
Fowles Samuel, tailor
Fowles William, mealman
Gunter William, farmer, Woodhouse
Holbrow Thomas, shopkeeper
Hopkins John, veterinary surgeon
Hopkins John Harding, veterinary surgeon
Hopkins William, blacksmith
Jeens John William, silk throwster
Mailer Elizabeth (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Mailer James, wheelwright
May Benjamin, stonemason
Powis George, haulier
Ricks William, Nag’s Head, & carpntr
Rowland Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Rowland John, carpenter
Sharp Robert, stonemason
Singleton James, tiler & plasterer
Smart James, farmer, Rudges
Thomas Henry, farmer
Thomas Sampson, shopkeeper
White Charles, farmer & shopkeeper
White Daniel, baker
Whiting John, stonemason
Whiting William, stonemason
Wigmore Jeremiah Hastings, farmer
Wilkins Thomas, assistant overseer
Post Office.— Mrs. H. Chandler, postmistress.
Letters arrive through Stroud at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Minchinhampton.
National School, E. W. Berry, master.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.