Ashton under Hill Morris Gloucestershire Directory 1876


Ashton-under-Hill (or Underhill) is a village and parish in Evesham union, containing, by the census of 1861, 411, and in 1871, 457 inhabitants, with 1551 acres of land; in the deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, partly in the upper portion of Tewkesbury hundred, and partly in Tibaldstone hundred, East Gloucestershire; 6 miles south-west from Evesham, and 7 ½ north-east from Tewkesbury, on the Ashchurch and Evesham Railway, which has a station here. The living is a chapelry annexed to the vicarage of Beckford, jointly valued at £400 per annum, and is in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Joseph Harrison, LL.B. The church, dedicated to St. Barbara, consists of nave, chancel, north aisle and porch, with tower containing five bells. The rateable value of this parish is £3247.

Gentry

Baldwyn Mr. John

Baldwyn Mr. Thomas

Baldwyn William, Esq.

Heeks Mr. Jonathan

Trades and Professions

Attwood William Henry, butcher

Baldwyn John, farmer

Baldwyn William, yeoman

Carter John, blacksmith

Clements John, tailor and shopkeeper

Cotton Benjamin, parish clerk

Cull Joseph, stationmaster

Drinkwater David, farmer

Heeks Thomas, beer retailer

Higgins Joseph, dairyman

Hook William, shopkeeper

Miles Joseph, wheelwright

New Mrs. Julia, farmer

Panting John, farmer

Pearce Joseph, farmer, Great house

Peart George, fruiterer

Smith Herbert, farmer

Smith Joseph, beer retailer

Letters through Tewkesbury, which is the nearest money order office. Box cleared at 3.45 p.m. on week-days only.

Midland Railway Station – Joseph Cull, stationmaster

Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.