Ashton-under-Hill is a village and parish, 7½ miles north-east from Tewkesbury, and 6 south-west from Evesham station, partly in Upper Tewkesbury and partly in Tibbaldstone hundreds, Evesham union and county court district, East Gloucestershire, rural deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, and bishopric of Gloucester and Bristol, situated on the river Carrant, which rises in the parish. The church of St. Barbara consists of a nave, small north aisle, porch, chancel, and square tower with 5 bells; in the Interior are several mural tablets to the Baldwyn family. The register dates from 1586. The living is a chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of Beckford, joint annual value £400, in the gift of and held by the Venerable John Timbrill, D.D., archdeacon of Gloucester, and rector of Dursley, who was instituted in 1797. Near the church is an ancient stone cress with sun-dial. Here are a Sunday school and National school, partly endowed with £200 and partly supported by subscription. The chief landowners are Mr. William Henry Baldwyn, Mrs. S. Baldwyn, and Mr. Herbert New. The population in 1861 was 411; the area is 1,632a. 16p.; rateable value, £2,385 2s. 7d. A branch rail road from Ashchurch to Evesham runs through the parish.
Parish Clerk, Benjamin Cotton.
Baldwyn Mr. Thomas
Baldwyn William, esq
Heeks Mr. Jonathan
Lambert Rev. Richard Joseph F. B. A [curate]
Abell Hannah (Mrs.), farmer
Baldwyn Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Baldwyn William, landowner & farmer
Carter John, blacksmith
Clements John, tailor & shopkeeper
Drinkwater David, farmer
Dunn Thomas, baker
Heekes John, farmer
Heeks Thomas, beer retailer
Miles Joseph, wheelwright
New Joseph, farmer
Panting John, farmer
Smith Joseph, beer retailer
Workman Edmund, shopkpr. & butcher
Letters received through Tewkesbury, which is the nearest money order office; letter box cleared at 3.15 p.m.
Registrar of Births Deaths & Relieving Officer, Thomas Marshall, Evesham.
National School, Miss Elizabeth Shepherd, mistress
Carrier. – Taylor, to Evesham, mon.; to Cheltenham, sat.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.