Ampney St. Peter, Easington, or Eastington, is a village and parish, 3½ miles east from Cirencester and 5 from Fairford, in the hundred of Crowthorne and Minety, Cirencester union, county court district and rural deanery, Bristol archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric, East Gloucestershire. The church of St. Peter is a small stone building in the Transition Norman style; it has a low tower with 2 bells, nave, chancel, porch, and a stone font. The living is a perpetual curacy, value £50 per annum; the Rev. Edward Andrew Daubeny, M.A., is the incumbent. In the parish are the remains of a Roman encampment, of irregular form, called Ranbury Ring. The population in 1861 was 188; the acreage is 533 acres. The soil is clay, with gravelly subsoil. Mrs. Stevens is the principal landowner.
Tolland Quarry is 1 mile north-east; Tiltrip’s End, three quarters of a mile north.
Parish Clerk, William Hill.
Berry John, beer retailer
Chapman Edwin, farmer
Humpries Henry, Red Lion
Irelnnd William, beer retailer
Ricketts Thomas, pig dealer
Spencer John, farmer
Spencer Samuel, carpenter
Spencer William, baker
Stevens Mrs. farmer
Taylor Edwin, baker & shopkeeper
Letters through Cirencester, which is the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, Shropshire and the City of Bristol, Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1863.