Alveston is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire.
Other places in the parish include: the hamlet of Earthcott and part of the hamlet of Rudgway, Grovesend, Urcat and Grovening.
Parish church: St Helen (Note: Kellys Directories give the name of the church as St Andrew)
Parish registers begin: 1742
Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist, Primitive Methodists and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Parishes adjacent to Alveston
- Frampton Cotterell
- Iron Acton
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
Alveston, a parish in Thornbury district, Gloucester; 1¾ mile S of Thornbury, 2½ E of the Bristol and Wales railway, and 6 WNW of Yate r. station. It has a post office under Bristol; and contains the hamlets of Grovening and Urcat. Acres, 2,518. Real property, £5,384. Pop., 841. Houses, 188. The property is much subdivided. Vestiges of Roman camps occur on Oldbury-hill and Castle-hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £250. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is ancient. There are two Methodist chapels, a national school, and charities £6.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Alveston, 2 miles S.W. Thornbury. P. 841
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1840
Alveston, a parish partly in the upper and partly in the lower division of the hund. of Langley and Swineshead, union of Thornbury, Gloucestershire; 9 miles north by east of Bristol; on the post-road to Thornbury. It includes the hamlets of Grovening and Urcot. Living, a curacy annexed to Olveston, in the archd. of Gloucester and dio. of Gloucester and Bristol. There are two daily and Sunday schools here, with about 90 scholars. In this parish there are vestiges of two Roman camps, the one on the top of Oldbury-hill, near the Severn, the other on Castle-hill. Pop., in 1801, 412; in 1831, 800. Houses 137. Acres 2,470. A. P. £4,173. Poor rates, in 1837, £237.
Source: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1840.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Alveston, co. Gloucester.
P. T. Thornbury (116) 3 m. S b E. Pop. 657.
A parish, partly in the upper and partly in the lower division of the hundred of Langley and Swineshead. The living is a vicarage in the archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Bristol, annexed to that of Olveston. This parish contains the vestiges of two Roman camps, the one on the top of a hill, called Oldbury, near the Severn, the other called Castle-hill, in both which places various relics of antiquity have been discovered.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Gloucestershire
- Civil Registration District: Thornbury
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Bristol (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre 1836 – Gloucester, Post 1835 – Gloucester and Bristol
- Rural Deanery: Bristol
- Poor Law Union: Thornbury
- Hundred: Langley and Swinehead
- Province: Canterbury
- County Court District: Thornbury