Alderton is a village and parish in Winchcomb union, containing, by the census of 1861, 487, and in 1871, 474 inhabitants, with 1560 acres of land; in the deanery of Campden, archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester of Bristol, hundred of Tewkesbury, East Gloucestershire, 1 ½ mile south-east from Beckford Station, on the Midland Railway, 4 miles north-west from Winchcomb, 5 east from Ashchurch stations on the Bristol and Birmingham Railway, and 8 north-east from Cheltenham, pleasantly situated in the midst of hills, from which there are some beautiful views of the surrounding Country. The rectory, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Charles Covey, M.A., is valued at £500 per annum, with residence. The church is an ancient Gothic edifice dedicated to St. Margaret, consisting of nave, south aisle, and tower with six bells. The Wesleyans have a place of worship here. There are schools for children of both sexes, supported by the rector. Samuel Gist, Esq., is lord of the manor, and he and the Earl of Wemyss and Marsh, and the rector are the principal owners. There are some small charities for the benefit of the poor. The rateable value of this parish is £2875.
Dixton is a small hamlet of this parish, 2 miles south-west from thence, in which are the remains of a Saxon encampment. The manor house, formerly the residence of the ancient family of Higford, now occupied by William Gist, Esq., bears the date over the entrance of 1555.
Covey Rev. Charles, M.A.
Trades and Professions
Agg Wm. shoemaker and sub-postmaster
Banks Thomas, parish clerk
Cole Richard, farmer
Courtier Isaac, carpenter
Davis John, shoemaker
Day Maurice, butcher
Day William, bailiff
Fluck George, shopkeeper
Grimmett Emanuel, builder
Hale Thomas, farmer
Hicks John, farmer
Mansell Leigh, blacksmith and grocer
Mutlow Daniel Saunders, farmer
Rawlings Michael Corbett, veterinary surgeon
Sharp Stephen, shopkeeper and baker
Stephens Henry, beer retailer
Post office – William Agg, sub-postmaster. Letters through Winchcomb arrive at 10 am.; dispatched at 4.15 p.m. Winchcomb is also the nearest money order office.
School – Mrs. Hampton, mistress
Gist William, Esq., Dixton house
Roberts James, farmer
Source: Morris & Co.’s Commercial Directory & Gazetteer of Gloucestershire with Bristol and Monmouth. Second Edition. Hounds Gate, Nottingham. 1876.