Alderley is a township, parish and village, 4 miles east from the Charfield railway station, 20 north from Bath, 20 north-east from Bristol, 20 south-south-west from Gloucester, 2 south from Wootton-under-Edge 10 west-south-west from Tetbury, and 110 west-north-west from London, in the Grumbolds Ash Hundred, Upper Division, Chipping Sodbury Union, West Gloucestershire, Bristol archdeaconry, Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. The church, which was rebuilt about 1800, is a stone building, ornament with embattlements, nave, chancel, square tower with clock and 1 bell. In the churchyard are several old tombs to the Hale family; one a neat monument of black and white marble, in memory of Sir Matthew Hale, Lord Chief Justice of the King’s Bench, who was born in this parish, and died December 5, 1676, aged 67. The old clock now standing in the tower was the gift of Sir M. Hale; it bears date November 1, 1673. The living is a rectory, worth £162 yearly, with residence and 25 acres of glebe land, in the gift of Robert Hale Blagden Hale, Esq., of Cottles, Wiltshire, who is also lord of the manor. Here is a mixed village school, supported by voluntary subscriptions, together with the weekly payments of the children. The population is 145, and the number of acres 878.
Bayly John J. L. esq.
Hale Robert Blagden, esq. M.P. Alderley house
Hayward Rev. Wm. Winstone Curtis (perpetual curate of Hillsley)
Penly Mr. Edmund
Whish Rev. Martin Henry, Rectory
Ashbee Charles, farmer
Bruton Joseph, parish clerk & postmaster
Hazle William, miller
Hopkins Charles, farmer
Minett Edwin, farmer
Letters through Wootton-under-Edge which is also the nearest money order office.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.