Addlestrop Kellys Gloucestershire Directory 1856


Addlestrop is a township, parish, and small village, and railway station on the Oxford, Worcester, and Wolverhampton line, 3 miles east from Stow-on-the-Wold, 5 south from Moreton-in-the-Marsh, and 5 west from Chipping Norton, in Upper Slaughter Hundred, Stow-on-the-Wold Union, Gloucester archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. It is situated near the small river Evenlode. The church is an ancient building, partly in the Norman style, and consists of tower, nave, and chancel, and has several monuments to the Leigh family. The living, with Broadwell annexed, is a rectory, united value £800 yearly, with residence, in the gift of Lord Leigh; the Hon. and Rev. Henry Pitt Cholmondeley, M.A., is the incumbent. There is a day school for boys and girls, and also a Sunday school; the former is supported by Lady Leigh, the latter by the rector. The population, in 1851, was 196, and the acreage is 1,250. The soil is a strong clay. Lord Leigh is lord of the manor and owner of the soil.

GENTRY.

Cholmondeley Hon. & Rev. Henry Pitt, M.A. Rectory

Leigh Dowager Lady, Adlestrop house

TRADERS.

Beecham Francis, farmer, Rectory farm

Freeman Charles, farmer

Lane Henry, blacksmith

Nash William, shopkeeper

Stow Richard, farmer, Adlestrop hill

Willifer Robert, farmer

Letters are received through Chipping Norton. The nearest money order office is at Stow-on-the-Wold.

Day school, Miss Mary Ann Wild, mistress

Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.