Acton Turville is a township, parish, and village. 7 miles east from Yate station, 9½ from Chippenham, 13 from Bath, 17 from Bristol, and 103 from London, in Grumbald’s Ash Hundred, Chipping Sodbury Union, West Gloucestershire, Bristol archdeaconry, and Gloucester and Bristol bishopric. This situated an the high road from Malmesbury to Bristol. The church of St. Margaret is an ancient stone building in the early English style, which has been thoroughly restored and considerably enlarged. It has an elegant pyramidal bell turret, 1 bell, nave, aisle, chancel, new font, and porch. The living is a vicarage annexed to Tormarton, with residence and 25 acres of glebe land; the Rev. J. S. M. Anderson, M.A., is the incumbent, the Rev. John H. J. Morison, M.A., is the curate. The Baptists have a chapel. There is a school for boys and girls, supported partly by the weekly payments of the children, and partly by voluntary contributions. The population, in 1851, was 323; and the acreage is 1,009. The soil is light loam; the subsoil is oolite. The Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor, and sole landowner.
Ivy Leaze is three-quarters of a mile south-east; Swallow Holes, half a mile north-west, on a brook; Withey Moor, 1 mile north-west; New House, 1 ½ miles west; Warren, 1 ½ miles south-west.
Isaac Miss Ellen
Morison Rev. John H. J., M.A.
Baker Hannah (Mrs.), draper & grocer
Cam Wm. boot & shoe maker
Cole Thomas, farmer
Comely John, farmer
Daw James, farmer
Evans Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Goulter James, jun. farmer
Goulter James, sen. farmer
Long Jesse, pianoforte tuner
Minett William, farmer
Sainsbury James, stonemason
White Henry, carpenter
Woodey Mary (Mrs), ‘Fox & Hounds’
Letters though Chipping Sodbury. The nearest money order office is at Badminton.
Carriers to Bath – Henry Pugh, from Sherston, passes through Saturday; Charles Bell, from Luckington, passes though Saturday.
Source: Post Office Directory of Gloucestershire with Bath and Bristol. Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 19, 20 & 21, Old Boswell Court, St. Clement’s, Strand, London. 1856.