St Briavels Castle is an extra-parochial place. Search surrounding parishes for records and information. Parish church: Parish registers begin: Parish registers: Search surrounding parishes Bishop’s Transcripts: Search surrounding parishes Nonconformists include: Adjacent Parishes St Briavels...
Gloucestershire Family History Guide
Gloucestershire is bounded, North by Worcestershire and Warwickshire; East by Warwickshire, Oxfordshire, and Wiltshire; South by Somersetshire; and West by the Severn, by Monmouthshire and Herefordshire. It is 65 miles long, and 25 broad, and is divided into 27 hundreds, namely, Berkeley, Bisley, Bledesloe, Botloe, Bradley, St. Briavells, Brightwell Barrow, Cheltenham, Cleeve, Crowthorn, Deerhurst, Dudstone and Kingsbarton, Grimbalds Ash, Henbury, Kiftsgate, Duchy of Lancaster, Langley and Swineshead, Longtrees, Puckle-Church, Rapsgate, Slaughter, Tewkesbury, Thornbury, Tibaldstone, Westbury, Westminster, and Whitestone. Rivers: the Frome, the Isis, the Severn, and the Wye. It has one city, and 27 market towns. It is in the Province of Canterbury, chiefly in the Diocese of Gloucester, but partly in that of Bristol; and is in the Oxford Circuit. Area 1,256 square miles, or 803,840 acres. Population, 431,383.
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
The number of parishes in Gloucestershire, including extra-parochial places, is about 363; these further include 215 liberties, tithings, and hamlets, which have separate organisation for poor administrations or for highways.
The Cotswold or hill district forms a high land running through Gloucestershire from north-east to south-west. The Forest of Dean district is another high district to the west of the Severn. Between these uplands lie the vales of the Severn and Avon.
Parishes in Gloucestershire
Gloucestershire is divided into East and West Gloucestershire.
East Gloucestershire includes the hundreds of
- Crowthorne and Minety
- Brightwells Barrow
- Dudstone and King’s Barton
also the city and county of the city of Gloucester, the borough of Cirencester, and the parliamentary boroughs of Cheltenham, Stroud, and Tewkesbury.
West Gloucestershire includes the remaining portions of the shire, the hundreds of
- Barton Regis
- Grumbalds Ash
- St. Briavels
Gloucestershire Poor Law Unions
The poor law unions that covered the Gloucestershire area were:
- Bristol Incorporation
- Cheltenham Poor Law Union
- Chipping Sodbury Poor Law Union
- Cirencester Poor Law Union
- Clifton Poor Law Union
- Dursley Poor Law Union
- Gloucester Poor Law Union
- Newent Poor Law Union
- Northleach Poor Law Union
- Shipston-on-Stour Poor Law Union (Worcestershire)
- Stow-on-the-Wold Poor Law Union
- Stroud Poor Law Union
- Tetbury Poor Law Union
- Tewkesbury Poor Law Union
- Thornbury Poor Law Union
- Westbury-on-Severn Poor Law Union
- Wheatenhurst Poor Law Union
- Winchcombe Poor Law Union
The Family Topographer, dated 1834, reports the population in 1821 as follows:
Hundreds, 27; Cities, Gloucester and Bristol; Boroughs, 4; Market Towns, 23; Parishes, 320; Parts of Parishes, 5; Houses, 63,436. Inhabitants. Males, 160,451; Females, 175,392; total, 335,843.— By the census of 1831 the number was 386,700. Families. Employed in agriculture, 23,170; in trade, 35,907; in neither, 13,079; total, 82,156.
Baptisms in 1820. Males, 4,988; Females, 4,755; total 9,743. Annual average of 1811 to 1820, 9,067.
Marriages, 3,192; annual average, 2,888.
Burials. Males, 2,929; Females, 2,822, total, 5,751. Annual average, 5,139.
1861, Males, 229,009, Females, 258,761.
Population per square miles in 1851 was 364.
|Date||Inhabited houses.||Uninhibited houses.||Houses building|
The produce of Gloucestershire is wheat, barley, oats, rye, beans, peas, potatoes, turnips, clover, vetches, sainfoin, flax, teasels, timber and wood produce, apples, pears, cider, perry, ale, beer, grazing produce, butter, cheese, wool.
Iron, in the Forest of Dean; lead, in every lime stone rock, but in small quantities; coal, in the Forest of Dean, Little Dean, and Lydney; lime-stone, of excellent quality, at Cromhall, Wickwar, &c. from the rocks called “white lays;” crow-stone, at Churchdown; Bristol diamonds, at Clifton; free-stone, on the Cotswolds; puff- stone, or tophus, at Dursley, of which Berkeley Castle was built; gypsum; pyrites. Timber; corn; turnips; apples, in the Vale and Forest of Dean; sainfoin, in the Cotswold districts. Sheep; swine, long, tall, and white. Salmon, at numerous fisheries from Oldbury-on-Severn to Tewkesbury; lampreys, eels, and elvers, in the Severn at and above Gloucester.
Woollen manufacture is carried on at Wotton-under-Edge, Stroud, Minchinhampton, Bisley, North Nibley, Ebley, Stonehouse, Eastington, Dursley, Cam, Painswick, Rodborough, and King’s Stanley. The Stroud valley produced broadcloths.
Hosiery was manufactured at Tewkesbury and silk at Tewkesbury, Stroud, and Bristol.
In 1834 the Family Topographer reports the manufactures as follows:
There are several paper mills in the County. At Bristol, glass, pottery, refined sugars, woollens, snuff, &c.; Cambridge and Coaley, edge-tools, and farmers’ iron-work, brass wire for pins, &c.; Cirencester, carpets, and curriers’ knives; Forest of Dean, cider and perry, the latter of which is said to be the basis of some of the wine sold for champagne in the metropolis; and much iron-work; Frampton Cotterell, felt hats; Gloucester, curriers’ knives, bells, and pins, the latter introduced in 1626, by John Tilsby or Tilsley, and the value of the pins sent weekly to London was at one time estimated at £20,000; Newnham, verdigrease; Stroud, Painswick, Nailsworth, Chalford, Wootton, Dursley, Uley, and numerous adjoining villages, broad and narrow fine cloths, and the waters are peculiarly well adapted to the dying of scarlet, blue, and black cloth; Vale of Severn, cheese, of which about 12,000 tons are annually exported; Tewkesbury, cotton stockings and lace. Warmley, near Bristol, brass works.
Minerals found in Gloucestershire include coal, iron, lead, tin (at Lydney), calamine, iron pyrites, barytes, gypsum, limestone, sandstone, freestone, fuller’s earth, petro-silex, and Bristol diamonds. The Romans worked ironstone here, as did the early English before the Norman invasion. In the Middle Ages iron was wrought, and gold was reputed to be found. There are salt springs at Cheltenham and Gloucester, used for medicinal purposes, and hot wells at Clifton.
Canals, Rivers and Ports
The two main ports on the Severn estuary were Bristol and Gloucester.
The Lower Avon was navigable to Bath. The Thames rises in Gloucestershire and was navigable from Lechlade.
The main canals include the Stroudwater, the Thames and Severn Canal, the Hereford and Gloucester and the Gloucester and Berkeley canal, which was a ship canal 16½ miles long.
The railways that passed through Gloucestershire we mainly of the broad gauge system and included the Great Western and the Midland railways.
Hospitals and Asylums
The County Lunatic Asylum is distant about half a mile from the city of Gloucester; it stands on rising ground, from which some very extensive views of the surrounding country are obtained. The centre of the building is in the form of a semicircle, which, with the wings, originally extended 250 feet, but additional buildings have since been erected; the domestic offices are exceedingly good, and there are commodious apartments for all the resident officers; it was opened July 21, 1823. Dr. Williams, F.L.S., resident physician and superintendent; Francis Wilton, medical assistant; Miss Bishop, matron; Rev. Herbert Haines, chaplain; Robert Wilton, solicitor; James Medland, surveyor; John Jones, auditor.
Law and Legislation
Gloucestershire was within the Oxford circuit and the district of the Bristol court of Bankruptcy.
County assizes were held at Gloucester.
Coroners for the County (1863) — Wm. Gaisford, Esq., Berkeley (for the Lower division); J. G. Ball, Esq. Stroud (for Stroud division); Joseph Lovegrove, Esq., Gloucester (for the Upper division); James Teague, Esq., Hagloe house (for the Forest division).
County Gaol (Gloucester)(1863), Captain Henry Edward Cartwright, governor; Rev. W. C. L. A. Dudley, B.A., chaplain: Thomas Hickes, surgeon; Henry Morland Jeens, clerk and storekeeper; Miss Ellen Gillett, matron.
Hardwicke Reformatory, for juvenile offenders, under the management of Thomas Barwick Lloyd Bakers, Esq., J. P., of Hardwicke court.
The County Police Force consists (1863) of 1 chief constable, 1 deputy chief constable, 10 superintendents, 43 sergeants, and 219 constables. The chief station is at Cheltenham. There are 68 other stations.
Mocking Hazell Wood is an extra-parochial place. Search surrounding parishes for records and information. Alternative names: Mawkens Hazells Parish church: Parish registers begin: Parish registers: Search surrounding parishes Bishop’s Transcripts: Search surrounding parishes Nonconformists include:...
Hinders Lane and Dockham is an extra-parochial place. Search surrounding parishes for records and information. Alternative names: Hinders Lane Parish church: Parish registers begin: Parish registers: Search surrounding parishes Bishop’s Transcripts: Search surrounding parishes Nonconformists...
Easton St Mark is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1848 from Bristol St George Ecclesiastical Parish and Stapleton Ancient Parish. Alternative names: Easton, Lower Easton Parish church: Parish registers begin: Parish registers: 1848...
Dean Forest Christ Church is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1817 from part of Forest of Dean extra-parochial. Alternative names: Christ Church, Dean Forest Christchurch Other places in the parish include: Worcester Walk,...
Cheltenham St Paul is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1846 from Cheltenham Ancient Parish. Parish church: Parish registers begin: Parish registers: 1830 Bishop’s Transcripts: None Nonconformists include: Adjacent Parishes Prestbury Cheltenham Cheltenham St...
Cheltenham St Peter is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1845 from Cheltenham Ancient Parish. Parish church: Parish registers begin: Parish registers: 1845 Bishop’s Transcripts: 1845 Nonconformists include: Adjacent Parishes...
Gloucester Cathedral or Gloucester St Peter and Holy Trinity is located in the city of Gloucester in the county of Gloucestershire. It is the seat of the Diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Alternative names:...
Gloucester Pool Meadow is an extra-parochial place. Search surrounding parishes for records and information. Alternative names: Pool Meadow Parish church: Parish registers begin: Parish registers: Search surrounding parishes Bishop’s Transcripts: Search surrounding parishes Nonconformists include:...
Gloucester St Aldate is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Gloucestershire. Alternative names: Gloucester St Aldgate, Gloucester St Algate Parish church: Parish registers begin: Parish registers: 1572 Bishop’s Transcripts: 1619 Nonconformists include: Adjacent Parishes Gloucester...
Gloucester St John the Baptist is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Parish church: Parish registers begin: Parish registers: 1558 Bishop’s Transcripts: 1570 Nonconformists include: Plymouth Brethren, Roman Catholic, and Wesleyan Methodist. Adjacent Parishes Gloucester St...
Gloucester St Mary de Crypt with All Saints and St Owen is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Gloucestershire, created in 1643 from Gloucester St Mary de Crypt Ancient Parish and Gloucester St Owen Ancient Parish. Other...
Gloucester St Mary de Grace is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Parish church: Parish registers begin: Parish registers: None (see Gloucester St Michael) Bishop’s Transcripts: 1613 Nonconformists include: Adjacent Parishes Gloucester St Mary de Crypt...
Gloucester St Nicholas is an Ancient Parish in the county of Gloucestershire. Other places in the parish include: Gloucester College Precincts and Gloucester St Mary Magdalene and St Margaret. Parish church: Parish registers begin: Parish registers: 1558 Bishop’s...