Ipplepen, Devon Family History Guide


St Andrew's church, Ipplepen.
St Andrew’s church, Ipplepen. Derek Harper / St Andrew’s church, Ipplepen / CC BY-SA 2.0

Ipplepen is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.

Other places in the parish include: Dainton, Daignton, Coombe Fishacre, and Castleford.

Parish church: St Andrew

Parish registers begin:

  • Parish registers: 1558
  • Bishop’s Transcripts: 1610

Nonconformists include: Baptist and Wesleyan Methodist.

Parishes adjacent to Ipplepen

Historical Descriptions

Ipplepen

The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

IPPLEPEN, a village and a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon. The village stands on the South Devon railway, 3¼ miles SSW of Newton-Abbot; was anciently known as Iplepine; had once a market and a fair, dating from 1317; and has now a post office under Newton-Abbot. The parish contains also the chapelry of Woodland, and the hamlets of Daignton, Coombe Fishacre, and Castleford. Acres, 4,675. Real property, £8,023; of which £25 are in quarries. Pop., 977. Houses, 209. The property is much subdivided. The scenery is beautiful and romantic; abounds in tors or rocky heights; and includes a small valley, called Stony Coombes, with several subterranean rivulets. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £130. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The church is ancient but good; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; has a tower 100 feet high, commanding a view of thirteen different church towers; and contains a fine carved oak pulpit, and a beautiful carved oak screen. The p. curacy of Woodland is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and a national school. There was anciently a cell to St. Peter de Fulgeriis in Brittany.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Ipplepen, 3 miles S. Newton-Abbots. P. 1172

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850

Daignton

Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales Circa 1870

Daignton, a hamlet in Ipplepen parish, Devon.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Parish Registers

Marriages at Ipplepen 1612-1813 – UK Genealogy Archives

Family History Links

FamilySearch Historical Records

Vision of Britain historical maps

Administration

  • County: Devon
  • Civil Registration District: Newton Abbot
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Totnes
  • Diocese: Exeter
  • Rural Deanery: Ipplepen
  • Poor Law Union: Newton Abbot
  • Hundred: Haytor
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.