Culmstock is an Ancient Parish in the county of Devon.
Other places in the parish include: Nicholshayne, Northend, Spiceland, Upcott, and Prestcott.
Parish church: All Saints
Parish registers begin: 1645
Nonconformists include: Particular Baptist, Society of Friends/Quaker, and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Culmstock
Topographical Dictionary of England 1845
Culmstock (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Wellington, hundred of Hemyock, Cullompton and N. divisions of Devon, 7 miles (N. E.) from Cullompton; containing 1446 inhabitants, of whom several are employed in the woollen manufacture. Fairs for cattle are held on the 21st of May, and on the Wednesday after the 29th of September. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, the appropriators, and valued in the king’s books at £16: the great tithes have been commuted for £320, and the vicarial for £355; the glebe contains 4 ¼ acres, to which there is a glebe-house. The church contains a handsome stone screen, with a doorway enriched and canopied with foliage, and was enlarged in 1824. There are meeting-houses for Baptists, the Society of Friends, and Wesleyans. A school is partly supported by the vicar, and partly by subscription; and another is in union with the National Society.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis Fifth Edition Published London; by S. Lewis and Co., 13, Finsbury Place, South. M. DCCC. XLV.
- County: Devon
- Civil Registration District: Wellington (Somerset)
- Probate Court: Court of the Peculiars of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter
- Diocese: Exeter
- Rural Deanery: Post-1847 – Tiverton, Pre-1848 – None
- Poor Law Union: Wellington
- Hundred: Hemyock
- Province: Canterbury