Ashbourne or Ashbourne with Mapleton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created from Ashbourne Ancient Parish and Mapleton Ancient Parish.
Alternative names: Ashbourn, Ashborne, Ashbourne
Other places in the parish include: Hulland Ward Intakes, Hulland Ward Indaks, Mapleton, Hulland Ward, Newton Grange, Mappleton, Yieldersley, Hollin Ward, Holland Ward, Offcote and Underwood, Sturston, Yeldersley, and Hulland.
Parish registers begin: 1538; Separate registers exist for:
- Hulland: 1838
- Mapleton: 1704
Nonconformists include: Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Countess of Huntingdon Methodist, Independent/Congregational, Presbyterian, Primitive Methodist, Roman Catholic, Wesleyan Methodist, and Wesleyan Methodist Reform.
Parishes adjacent to Ashbourne
- Fenny Bentley
- Osmaston by Ashbourne
The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales 1851
Ashbourne, a parish, partly in the hund. of Appletree, partly in that of Morleston and Litchurch, but chiefly in that of Wirksworth, county of Derby. In the hundred of Appletree it comprises the townships of Hulland and Hulland-ward-Intacks, with the hamlets of Sturston, Hulland-ward, and Yeldersley; in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, the township of Clifton with Compton; and in the hundred of Wirksworth, the town of Ashbourne, the chapelry of Alsop-le-Dale with Eaton, and the liberties of Newton-Grange, and Offcoat with Underwood. Living, a discharged vicarage in the archd. of Derby and dio. of Lichfield, in connection with the rectory of Mapleton St Mary; rated at £5 4s. 7d., in the parliamentary returns at £65; gross income £148. The patronage of the church, and the rectoral tithes, were given by William Rufus to the dean of Lincoln, with whose successors they still continue. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel here. There are two daily and Sunday National schools in the parish, with about 110 scholars. Pop., in 1801, 4,708; in 1831, 4,884. Houses 1,003. Acres 12,800. A.P. £25,906.
Soource: The Parliamentary Gazetteer of England and Wales; A Fullarton & Co. Glasgow; 1851.
Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850
Ashborne, 139 m. N.W. London, and 13 miles Derby. Mrkt., Sat. P. 4936
Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.
A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland 1833
Ashborne, co. Derby.
London 139 m. NW. Derby 13½ m. NW. Pop. of Par. 4756. Of To. 2188. M.D. Sat. Mail arr. 11.9 f. Mail dep. 2.43 a. Fairs, 1st Tu. in Jan., and Feb. 13, for horses and horned cattle; Ap. 3, May 21, and July, for ditto and wool; Aug. 16, Oct. 20, and Nor. 29, for horses and horned cattle. The Fairs for horses begin two or three days before the Fair-day.
A market-town and parish, partly in each of the hundreds of Morleston and Litchurch, and of Appletree and Wirksworth, on the borders of Staffordshire. This town is pleasantly situated in a rich valley on the eastern side; of the Dove, over which is a stone bridge. It is divided into two parts by a rivulet, called the Henmore, the most southern of which division is termed Compton, the ancient Campdene. The town is neat, but exhibits nothing remarkable in its buildings. It was a royal manor at the time of the conquest, and became subsequently a part of the duchy of Lancaster until sold by Charles I. The living is a dis. vicarage, united to the rectory of Mapleton, in the archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Lichfield and Coventry; val. in K. B. 5l. 4s. 7d.; ann. val. P. R. 65l.; patron, the Dean of Lincoln. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, is supposed to have been finished in the thirteenth century. It contains many monuments to the Cokaines, Bradburns, and Boothbys, successively possessors of the manors. The free grammar-school was founded in the reign of Elizabeth by Sir Thomas Cokaine, and other natives, for children of the town and neighbourhood, as also a second for the poorer class of children of both sexes. Here are likewise a chapel and a neat row of almshouses, founded in 1800, by a native named Cooper, who made a fortune in London, for six poor men and women; besides several other hospitals for decayed housekeepers, including one for the maintenance of four clergymens’ widows. This town has a considerable trade in cheese and malt, and many horses and cattle are sold at its fairs. Much lace is made here, and the iron and cotton factories in the neighbourhood employ a great many persons. The beautiful and romantic glen, called Dovedale, is within a short distance of this town.
Source: A Topographical Dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland by John Gorton. The Irish and Welsh articles by G. N. Wright; Vol. I; London; Chapman and Hall, 186, Strand; 1833.
- County: Derbyshire
- Civil Registration District: Ashbourne
- Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Lichfield
- Rural Deanery: Ashbourne
- Poor Law Union: Ashbourne
- Hundred: Appletree; Wirksworth
- Province: Canterbury