Alvaston Derbyshire Family History Guide



Alvaston is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1772 from chapelry in Derby St Michael Ancient Parish.

Alternative names: Alvaston with Sinfin Moor

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1614

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Alvaston

  • Chellaston
  • Boulton
  • Elvaston cum Thurlston and Ambaston
  • Spondon

Historical Descriptions


The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ALVASTON, a township-chapelry in St. Michael parish, Derby; on the Derwent river, near the Midland railway, 3 miles SE of Derby. It has a post office under Derby. Acres, 870. Rated property, £2,930. Pop., 558. Houses, 117. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £116. Patrons, the parishioners. The church was rebuilt in 1856. There are Presbyterian and Wesleyan chapels, and a church school.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Alvaston, 3 miles E. Derby. P. 493

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Administration

  • County: Derbyshire
  • Civil Registration District: Shardlow
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Stanton by Bridge
  • Poor Law Union: Shardlow
  • Hundred: Morleston and Litchurch
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.