Alkmonton, Derbyshire Family History Guide



Alkmonton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Derbyshire, created in 1848 from chapelry in Longford Ancient Parish.

Other places in the parish include: Hungry Bentley and Bentley Hungry.

Parish church:

Parish registers begin: 1850

Nonconformists include: Wesleyan Methodist

Parishes adjacent to Alkmonton

  • Boyleston
  • Barton Blount
  • Longford

Historical Descriptions


The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870

ALKMONTON, a township and a chapelry in Longford parish, Derby. The township lies 5 miles NNE of Sudbury r. station, and 6 S by E of Ashborne. Post town, Longford under Derby. Pop., 82. Houses, 15. A chapel and an hospital were founded here, in 1474, by Lord Mountjoy; but are now extinct. The present chapelry was constituted in 1849, and is more extensive than the township. Pop., 164. Houses, 27. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £50. Patron, W. Evans, Esq. The church is very good.

Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].

Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales 1850

Alkmonton, 5 m. S. Derby. P. incl. in Longford parish.

Source: Leonard’s Gazetteer of England and Wales; Second Edition; C. W. Leonard, London; 1850.

Administration

  • County: Derbyshire
  • Civil Registration District: Ashbourne
  • Probate Court: Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory)
  • Diocese: Lichfield
  • Rural Deanery: Cubley
  • Poor Law Union: Ashbourne
  • Hundred: Appletree
  • Province: Canterbury


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.