Status: Ancient Parish
Alternative names: Breage with Germoe, St Breage, St Breock in Kerrier
Parish church: St. Breage
Parish registers begin:
- Parish registers: 1559
- Bishop’s Transcripts: 1597
Parishes adjacent to Breage
- St Hilary
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
BREAGE, or St. Breage,-pronounced Brague-a village, a parish, and a subdistrict in the district of Helston, Cornwall. The village stands on the coast, 3 miles W of Helston, and 6½ S by E of Gwinear Road r. station; and has a post office under Helston, and a fair on 19 June. It is said to have been founded by the Irish St. Breaca. The parish comprises 7,056 acres of land and 105 of water. Real property, £12,212; of which £4,883 are in mines. Pop., 5,173. Houses, 1,037. Much of the property belonged formerly to the Godolphin family; and belongs now to the Duke of Leeds. Godolphin mansion is now used as a farmhouse. Godolphin hill and Tregonning hill rise to altitudes of 495 and 596 feet; consist of granite; and are rich in minerals. China clay is worked out of part of Godolphin hill, and sent to neighbouring ports for shipment. Huel-Vor or WhealVor tin mine is in the same hill; has been worked in lodes 30 feet wide; extends upwards of 1¼ mile under ground; and has yielded, at times, a clear profit of £10,000 in three months. The living is a vicarage with Germoe in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £760. Patron, the Crown. The church contains the remains of Mrs. Godolphin. The vicarage of Godolphin and that of Cury and Gunwalloe are separate benefices. Charities, £8. Lord Treasurer Godolphin was a native. The subdistrict includes also the parish of Germoe. Acres, 8,448. Pop., 6,188. Houses, 1,253.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Family History Links
Civil Registration District: Helston
Probate Court: Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Archdeaconry of Cornwall
Rural Deanery: Kerrier
Poor Law Union: Helston