Halton is an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Cheshire, created in 1718 from chapelry in Runcorn Ancient Parish.
Parish registers begin: 1732
Nonconformists include: Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan Methodist.
Parishes adjacent to Halton
- Runcorn Holy Trinity
The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales 1870
HALTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Runcorn parish, Cheshire. The village stands on an eminence near the Bridgewater canal, the Northwestern railway, and the river Mersey, 1½ mile SE of Runcorn, and 3 NNE of Frodsham; commands an extensive view along the Mersey; was once a market town; and has a post office under Preston Brook, a r. station, and an inn with bowling green. The township comprises 1,779 acres. Real property, £6,607. Pop., 1,505. Houses, 317. An ancient barony of Halton, having its seat at the village, was, with the constableship of Chester, given by Hugh Lupus, Earl of Chester, to his cousin Nigel; continued, for several centuries, to be held by Nigel’s descendants; and passed, through John of Gaunt, to the duchy of Lancaster. A castle here, on the brow of a hill, was built about the time of the Conquest; was a favourite hunting seat of John of Gaunt; was dismantled in the civil war of Charles I.; and is now represented by inconsiderable ruins; but includes a habitable portion, rebuilt after the Restoration. The manor now belongs to Sir Richard Brooke, Bart. Stone is quarried. The chapelry is rather larger than the township, and was constituted in 1860. Pop., 1,541. Houses, 290. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £157. Patron, Sir R. Brooke, Bart. The church is an edifice of red stone, with a turret. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, an endowed grammar school, and alms houses with £55.
Source: The Imperial Gazetteer of England & Wales [Wilson, John M]. A. Fullarton & Co. N. d. c. [1870-72].
Below is a list of people that were declared bankrupt between 1820 and 1843 extracted from The Bankrupt Directory; George Elwick; London; Simpkin, Marshall and Co.; 1843.
Acton Thomas, Halton, Chester, innkeeper, Nov. 9, 1827.
- County: Cheshire
- Civil Registration District: Runcorn
- Probate Court: Pre-1541 – Court of the Bishop of Lichfield (Episcopal Consistory), Post-1540 – Court of the Bishop of Chester (Episcopal Consistory)
- Diocese: Pre-1541 – Lichfield and Coventry, Post-1540 – Chester
- Rural Deanery: Frodsham
- Poor Law Union: Runcorn
- Hundred: Bucklow
- Province: York